Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

bladder stone diet

ekaterina dobryakovaekaterina dobryakova harrisonMember Posts: 38
edited 26 August, 2016 in Home Prepared Food & Recipes
Hi, can anyone suggest a diet that would fit a cat with bladder stones. I am going to put her on Hill's s/d diet next week but want to see if anything else is available since Hill's prescription diet has chicken by-product as the first ingredient.

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 15 April, 2016
    The most important thing for treating any kind of bladder or urinary issue in cats is moisture. Feed wet or raw food only and add water. This keeps the urinary system flushed to avoid crystals and other issues. Do you know what kind of stones they are - struvite or calcium oxalate?
  • ekaterina dobryakovaekaterina dobryakova harrisonMember Posts: 38
    edited 15 April, 2016
    unfortunately the vet can't tell the type of the stone, thought I thought it was possible to determine that with urine analysis. The vet did tell me that there are signs of urinary infection and crystals that are indicative of struvites, so I am hoping it is the struvite stone. I am starting her on antibiotics today and purchased d-mannose to promote urination. The strange thing is that Eava was on raw food and never on dry. I was giving tap water though, so maybe that was the culprit.
    edited 16 April, 2016
    I know I answered this last night - darn Catster fleas! It's really interesting that this is happening on a raw diet with plenty of moisture. I've heard of idiopathic urinary issues but it's so rare. If you can find out what kind of stones/crystals they are, you may be able to tweak the diet to help. Good luck!
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 April, 2016
    I have question this for many years and still feel I do not have the answers. Mr D, Sam and Raza have all had UTI and I have them all on Hill C/D or Royal Canin S/O BTW there is a new Hills (fish out and they are loving it) I hope it's ok????:-k They started on this diet almost 8 years ago and been on it since. Mr D did have a UTI last year after we were away for 5 weeks, leaving the cats with a house sitter. I'm not sure if he was given anything outside his normal diet. Anyway after two weeks I notice he was showing signs of a UTI. I went to the vets for antibiotics I was given Metacam. I have heard that can be a problem but the vet thought it would be ok so he had a course of that. Anyway 2 weeks after that there were more problems, nobody knows if it was the metacam but he blocked with stones in both his ureters. We were very lucky to catch it and we were also lucky where we took him. There was a vet that had done that procedure before oversea and was willing to remove the stones. Anyway there was more but fast forward to me questioning his food and why he blocked. The old Hills really was for the crystals were D actually had calcium Oxalate stones. But a few years ago they changed the formula to be more natural as far as I know, so it is suitable for both types. So I'm not sure if the old type aggravated his symptoms. Anyway I wondered why he had the problem, was I feeding him the right kind of food????. I started looking into raw but that was a risk as I read so much about what can be feed and what can't be. There was quite a bit of contradiction out there, I found it very confusing. Good luck if you can get to the bottom of it. D won't eat anything wet and I after discussing with he vets I decided to keep to the hills and Royal canin food. While he was getting over all the surgery. I was so confused I'm still just feeding him those biscuits one year on from the major surgery. He has just had another ultrasound, I know he still has stones in his kidneys and bladder. But he also shows signs of calcium in his blood now. Is this why he had the stones in his bladder? They are now taking Lymphoma. I supposes we don't know enough, why???? is the stones forming in the first place. What I'm saying Is...... I have no idea, I know this may not help you, but I was just letting you know there are others out there just as confused D's been on that food for almost 8 years now and still here so that maybe one thing that is good. I wish you the best
    edited 17 April, 2016
    Mr D, the dry food definitely contributes to urinary issues. A cat can't physically drink enough water to keep their kidneys and urinary systems flushed. Their bodies are designed to get their moisture from food. If you're not comfortable with a raw diet at least get them on low carb canned so you can keep their systems flushed and avoid UTIs, crystals, stones, etc. It's unlikely they'd eat raw if they won't eat canned first anyway. There are some great tips on ibdkitties.net on how to switch from kibble to canned - hope they can help you.
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April, 2016
    Thanks BK we do have wet food down every night for Raza but her kittens Sam and D (now 10 years) have never touched the stuff. I don't know why they won't eat it. It's kind of weird.
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April, 2016
    Not so weird ... my Athena and Apollo would never eat wet/canned food, no matter what kind it was. I tried, but they would eat only the Fancy Feast dry. :?