Is it true that one sign of a urinary tract or bladder infection is that a cat obsessively licks her

Laura Cat LadyLaura Cat Lady CaliforniaMember Posts: 70
My cat has been licking her abdomen so much that it has scabbed over. She's been doing it for several months. Our previous veterinarian gave us an ointment and it worked at first, but not anymore. Now, in the past two weeks, my cat has been urinating outside her litter box, which almost always indicates a problem. Could this be tied to her licking of the abdomen and could it signify a bladder infection?

Best Answer

• shannon congdonshannon congdon Member Posts: 31
    Accepted Answer
    Hi there, I would suggest going to a different vet soon. My male cat, which males have slightly different plumbing than a girls but had the same type of problems...couldn't go potty because of a bladder infection. He would lick and grawl at his stomach area for a while. Next, The vet had to take he in and "unplug" him, gross term they used, but now he's good. I would also suggest what the vet said to me which was to switch to Cat food that is intended to help with Urinary tract infections. And to some skin healing creme for the damage she did to her stomach. I hope that helps a little!!! Kisses!