Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

6 mo. old kitten play bites and claws..hard!

Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
My mommy is a little angry with me. See, I like to lay on her lap, but sometimes I bite and claw her. I don't bite THAT hard, but I do claw her hard enough to draw blood and leave marks. I'm just playing, I swear, but she doesn't appreciate having to hide her hands under the afghan, and she likes when I lay on her lap, just not when I claw her. What can she do for me to get me to stop. PS--she says she doesn't think that water-spray-bottle thing would work because I am a Maine Coon and I LOVE water!

Best Answers

• Andrea GrapinAndrea Grapin Member Posts: 17
    Accepted Answer
    I do that to Mommy too! I think its more of a comfort thing because I chew on her fingers while I'm falling asleep. Mommy has started to yelp loud when I bite too hard and puts me on the floor. I've since eased up to just nibbling.
  • Accepted Answer
    i think it's just a kitten thing. im rikki and 5months old and i do the same thing. mom just says rikki stop it in a stern voice and sometimes i do stop. then she'll start petting me in the spots that i like, like the top of my head or my neck.
  • Jamie HarveyJamie Harvey ElginMember Posts: 10
    Accepted Answer
    It is very normal. I have 4 cats and they all did that. I currently have a kitten, and he does it a lot. I just recnetly trimmed his nails, and it seems like he can't claw me as well. And has pretty much given up on it. He does tend to try and bit me a litle bit more now, but that doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as the claws did. Just be patient they will grow out of it.
  • Moxie PopMoxie Pop Los AngelesMember Posts: 130
    Accepted Answer
    It is definitely a kitten thing. When I first got my kitty, she did the same thing -- nip/scratch at my hands, not hard but it was unpleasant. It made so sad because I thought I would always have a bitey cat! I noticed that she nipped at me way more than anyone else. I think it had to do with the fact that I was the one who fed her. Anyway, I did some research on the topic and found out what to do. If your kitty starts to bite or claw, tell her "no," grab her by her scruff and hold her in place until she calms down - it's like giving her a timeout. The intention is to teach her, to communicate that her behavior is unacceptable. Do not hit her and do not encourage the clawing/biting by playing with her when she does this. Be consistent about reinforcing that biting/clawing is bad and she will stop. Use toys if she wants to play but do not use your hands or it will confuse her. Good luck!
  • Jamie BinderJamie Binder canton ohioMember Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    I did that to my mom too when i was your age.. I left 12 marks on her arms. now I love her and could never do that to her. if i did she wouldnt give me any treats