Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Stop peeing on the carpet!!!

How do I do this. I have a cat named Mason and all he does is walk around and pee on the CREAM WHITE carpet! In front of the family! God and everyone! I mean-what is going on? He has a litter box. And yesterday, he peed on my brothers new winter jacket! Just in front of him! Please help! This cannot last much longer!

Best Answers

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Did you take your cat to a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection? Only a fraction of cats who suddenly stop going in the litter box do so because they want to, so telling them to stop is not gonna do it. When cats have a UTI, it hurts to pee on litter, especially if the litter has crystals, so the cat finds a soft surface that is the next best alternative. Meanwhile, you need to clean the spots on which he has peed with an enzymatic cleaner to break up the odor of the pee so the cat can't tell he went there before. Otherwise, Mason will still be able to smell his own pee on the carpet, and continue going, thinking it must be okay to do so. Stuff like Nature's Miracle, which you can find at a pet store, should help in that department. So: get him to a vet to rule out a UTI, and make sure to clean all accidents with a good cleaner. And if the cause is behavioral rather than medical? The vet might also be able to help you figure out what started triggering the behavior.
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    Accepted Answer
    Is he neutered? Un-neutered cats will mark. One thing that helped us get Sam to stop marking (we got him right after his neuter and apparently he still was pretty hormonal, lol) was to figure out his favorite spots to pee and put little bowls of food there, after we had cleaned the carpet with Nature's Miracle. It took about a week and then he was fine and we took the bowls away without any more problems.
  • Diane SellarsDiane Sellars HoustonMember Posts: 6
    Accepted Answer
    if he an unalter male cat he making his terrtory in the house and the jacket has the smell of another male you can have him altered and check with your local aspca to see if they can help with the cost if that a problem there are produce that are on the market for the smell i use vinigar to cut the smell and detrun him for doing it another thing lock him in a room were if he does it easer for you to clean up he come out a few hours if he does it he goes back in the room by himself. he leanr i do this and i get put were i dont like it and you can see if ther are ussage in the liter box another thing that can make can use the floor is a change in the way the house is you make any changes ? may be went on a trip away and left? any more question please contact me the clain