My 11yr old Meisie has lost some patches of hair, they are filling back in but what could cause this

there is no itching or scratching

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    My cousin Cole loses all his hair on his back end every winter. My human big bro says that's because he's stressed out by not being able to go out in the winter. My cousin Josie also loses patches of fur that grow in and then fall out again. We think this also is caused by stress. If you are sure that Meisie has no fleas, mites or anything and she is not scratching, then you may want to try her on Science Diet for Sensitive Skin. But if you do change her food, do it slowly--mix a little at a time with her food now until she is used to it. Your vet may also have suggestions for Meisie.
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    Accepted Answer
    Furr loss can be caused by alergies, changes in diets, mood swings, stress, and (especially if this happens mostly in the winter) the dry air caused by our heaters. Someone already suggested different foods, but you might also try some oils or fatty acids in yoru diet. The sites mommy found say to ask your vet, if you want to add some vitimans. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1338&articleid=195 (on hair loss - but techinical )