Are kittens only a month old really spayed?

Some very young kittens on Catster are indicated as spayed. I thought they had to be at least 6 months old. John

Best Answers

• Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    Accepted Answer
    In general, most experts recomend spaying male cats at around 12 weeks, and female cats 4 to 6 weeks earlier. The "old school" for males was 6 months, and for females was "after her first heat", but that has changed much in the last 10 years, especially with the understanding that unwanted cat (pet in general) populations are becoming a very serious problem. "one month" is highly unlikely, as most vets will not spay until a cat is 6-8 weeks old.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Dulci is right. Here in Cleveland, Ohio, we have a clinic called "The Spay and Neuter Clinic" and that's pretty much all they do. When Izzie was neutered, it cost me only $28 as opposed to the $100+ I would have paid at my own vet. These clinics have the potential to do hundreds of spays and/or neuters each month. It's a wonderful opportunity for responsible people who know they need to "fix" their animals and the Clinic must have prevented thousands of unborn (and unwanted) kittens and puppies. I seem to remember that their guidelines were as soon as the kitten reached two pounds it could be spayed. I'm sorry I don't remember the age, but it's pretty young. Very few of the babies ever had problems after surgery.
  • Julee RothJulee Roth AspenMember Posts: 33
    Accepted Answer
    In Australia, they have done numerous studies on the benefits of desexing earlier than we do in the US. It is been proven that early spaying and neutering - as early as 6-8 weeks - is safer, with better and faster healing times. And, babies don't have a chance to have babies! I'll try to find the studies,it's been over 5 years since we were investigating it, if you want to pmail me.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysMember Posts: 15,800
    Accepted Answer
    The answers before me are right. I was spayed at nearly 2 years old. At first my humans thought it cost too much to get me spayed, so that's why I got spayed late. The reason they ended up spaying me was becaue I cried when I was inheat and kept trying to get outside. At least one of my humans now know that spaying, no matter what price, is worth it.
  • R HR H Jackson MississippiMember Posts: 69
    Accepted Answer
    I have heard that you need to be at least 6 months old.My human family will get me done on Jan.1st2008 probley.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Generally you can spay kitties as early as 8 weeks (but younger than 8 weeks, mommy is told, is only done if the kittens are big for their age) without any health repercussions. In fact, if you spay /neuter before we're in our first heat, that's probably more humane: I was spayed at 8 weeks by the rescue group that had me up for adoption, and I am fine and healthy, and never knew the difference. My human mom was told that momma cat was only 9 months old when she had me, and I was part of her second litter. Keeping in mind that the average gestation time for a momma cat is two months, and she would have needed recovery time in between before going back to heat (even if her first litter had not survived very long, which is possible with young momma cats), my momma cat went into her first heat well before six months! That alone seems like an argument for early spaying to me!
  • Moxie PopMoxie Pop Los AngelesMember Posts: 130
    Accepted Answer
    6 months old is the traditional age. When I got my kitten, I found a lot of conflicting advice/research online. It seems that the new message is to spay early, as young as 8 weeks, for faster recovery, etc. However, this information seemed to be linked to the desire to control pet population. I felt the articles were pushing for pet owners to get it done earlier because most people who put it off will never get it done. I ultimately decided to wait until my kitty was 6 months because she had a tough time with her vaccinations (i.e. it made her really sick) and I was not convinced about major surgery before then. After her surgery, she was very ill and didn't eat for 7 days. In her case, I was glad I waited. I'm not saying earlier spaying is bad - there is research about it from places like UC Davis vet school - but I'm glad I waited.
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    Accepted Answer
    Early neutering is recommended you can neuter healthily as young as 8 weeks.