When is it time to say goodbye?!

I have a 18 year old female cat that has been with me since she was 8 weeks old. She has had no problems up until the last few years. She has had hyperthyroidism for the last three years. The drugs were no longer working so two weeks ago she had one thyroid removed. She did great through the surgery. During the last seven days she started not sleeping and crying all the time. She doesnt seem to get enough water but eats and uses her litter box just fine. Well she was staggering around this morning so I took her in. They put her on fluids and gave her a pain injection and told me they needed to keep her overnight. I am having a hard time decided when is enough enough. Could it be possible that certain drugs could help her enough to have a good quality of life or am I just deluding myself. Believe it or not Ive just had to put another one of my babies down. She was 17 and had a large mass in her by her pancreas. I need some input from people who love their cats.

Best Answers

• Louise RogersonLouise Rogerson West Yorkshire.Member Posts: 1,226
    Accepted Answer
    My heart goes out to you. I was in the same situation four years ago, also with an eighteen year old male cat with hypothyroidism (Beardsley). My partner and myself looked at each other one day and said "it's time", this was three months after we lost our Sybil at 22 years. I think you know when the time is right, when it's clear they want to go, when they don't seem to have any joy or comfort. Ir she is still eating with a good appetite, that's a good sign and she will get some moisture from her food if she eats wet food. I'm sorry you've already lost one of your babies. Wishing you all the best for this hard time. Louise.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    A cyber-hug to you in this difficult time. I also lost two of my kitties during the past year. All I can say is that I knew when it was time with both of them, and so did they. I got excellent advice from my vet. They won't tell you to humanely euthanize, but they can give you wonderful advice so there is no doubt in your mind that you are doing the right thing. There comes a time when you realize there will be no miracle 'rebound', your animal is in pain and her quality of life is not very good. You realize that she's given you 18 wonderful years and the kindest thing you can do is let her go to the Bridge where she'll wait for you with her sister. I wish you all the strength in the world to make this decision and peace in your heart when you do. Much love and prayers from Izzie and his gang, human and 'furry'!
  • Martha VolkoffMartha Volkoff SacramentoMember Posts: 3
    Accepted Answer
    I lost my Waverly a year and a half ago and had the same dilemma (the vets thought he had lung cancer, and he declined suddenly). I wanted more than anything to believe he might get better, or even live one more day. I wanted every second I could have with him. And I didn't want to make the decision that would end his life. Ultimately, I put it off and in the middle of the night I awoke to his pained meows. It was too late to save him this final suffering as there was no time to get him to the vet. It wasn't peaceful. I feel so guilty for not doing better for him, and those final moments were awful, for both of us. I wish I had had the courage to do what was best for Waverly. You know your cat better than anyone else, so trust yourself in making the decision that is best for her. All of my very best thoughts are with you and your beloved kitty. I keep Waverly's Catster page in his memory, and hope you will visit him.
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    Accepted Answer
    Oh, you poor thing and your poor mommy. i had to put down my Dulci not long ago, and it was so hard. I question my decision everytime i look at her picture on my desk and on my computers. But you make a decision based on how much pain you think she can and should endure. And you make a decision by looking at her and asking if she's happy anymore, and if she is, how often.
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    This is a tough disease, Meowmy had two kittys with it, so she understands what you are going through. Even if the thyroid has been removed, it doesn't mean that all the cancer associated with it is gone. With Conan, sadly, they didn't get it all. Unless there is something very very new on the market - there is nothing but pain meds left to try. I am also 18, and have been with Mom since I was a tiny kitten too. 18 is a great age for a kitty, and I have some medical problems too. I also have a 17 year old brother. Listen to your Vet as far as medical treatment, but more important, listen to your heart. You will know what is right for your little girl. Spend the time you have together making every minute count, and enjoying each others company. Your love of each other will get you through this.