How do I make a makeshift litter pan/litter

I found a kitten at my work place. He was sitting outside freezing. I brought him in, but now I'm afraid he'll defecate on the floor and need to know how to make a temporary litter pan complete with temporary litter. Would shredded paper work for litter?

Best Answers

• MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, or Dirt in a cardboard box lined with a plastic bag. Good luck
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Depending on how young this kitten is, he might need stimulation in order to go poo. Before six weeks, young cats have not learned to eliminate on their own, so momma cat helps with that. Once you've determined how young he is, please get kitten replacement milk for him too (it can be bought at a pet store, and it's fairly inexpensive), and after feedings, he can be stimulated to go in his litterbox (Baltster gave you a good answer about a temporary litter box, it might actually be okay for more than an emergency for a while - I wouldn't reccomend crystal litter around a kitten) by rubbing his tail area very gently with a cotton ball while he is placed in the box. This is what his cat mom would do to teach him bathroom etiquette, but the job has essentially fallen to you. Good luck, and kudos on your willingness to save this kitten from death by exposure.
  • Moxie PopMoxie Pop Los AngelesMember Posts: 130
    Accepted Answer
    The answer partly depends on how old the kitten is. If it's been living outside for awhile, it might find dirt to be more familiar than shredded paper. Another option is to buy a disposable cat litter tray. They're inexpensive (e.g. $4) and I think you can find it at most large grocery stores and drugstores in addition to pet stores. Most outdoor cats seem to understand what cat litter is for and adapt quickly. Good luck!
  • Sandi MahanaSandi Mahana Member Posts: 4,011
    Accepted Answer
    What you could do is get a plastic container about the size of a shoe box and fill it with dirt or sand