How do I get my boys to stop marking?

Okay, Orion is the only male in our household that has not yet been neutered. He's had this ritual lately to pee in a certain spot on the carpet. Moments later our other male, Zidane, who IS NEUTERED will squat and pee over Orion's piddle. How do I get this to stop? And why is Zidane so interested in marking when he's already neutered?

Best Answers

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    I would have Orion neutered ASAP! Un-neutered male cats tend to mark with urine. Zidane is probably marking in response to what Orion has done. I would get a good enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle to thoroughly clean the area. If a cat can still smell it (and their noses are MUCH better than ours) they may be tempted to return and repeat the behavior. If you can afford it, you may want to consider replacing the carpet. Although this sounds behaviorial, I would also recommend having both cats seen by a vet to rule out any medical issues (like a bladder infection) that can also cause cats to have accidents. Also, how many litter boxes do you have? Ideally you should have 1 per cat + 1.
  • MEOW Cat RescueMEOW Cat Rescue KirklandMember Posts: 12
    Accepted Answer
    First, get Orion neutered pronto! You are asking for disaster if you don't do this. Zidane is almost certainly marking on top of Orion's marks to "keep up with the Joneses". Male cats compete, especially when one of them is unaltered. Next, get a good enzymatic cleaner to clean those spots, and follow the directions carefully. Make sure those spots are completely clean! As previously suggested, you may need to replace the carpeting if you cannot get all the odor out. Remember, cats can smell odors that humans cannot. Do not rely on a human nose to tell if the smell is gone! Make sure you have enough litterboxes (at least one for each cat) and keep them clean (scoop every day or even more often, if necessary).