Constipation and fatty liver disase in one cat?

I have a 7.5 year old cat, Milly. She was diagnosed with fatty liver disease about a month ago. She has a feeding tube in and was about half eating on her own and half getting feedings through the tube. I noticed her straining to poop this morning. After a little belly massage, she was able to get out a little. But she hasn't gone to the bathroom since. I'm very worried considering she was on the road to recovery and now she's in pain again. It is the Sunday before Christmas eve and of course no vets are open and its the middle of a snow storm. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Thanks!

Best Answers

• Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I hope things are better this morning. It's difficult to not be able to get help when you need it. I've luckily never had to deal with a feeding tube, but I know they do wonders. Wish I could help - but I can only send you lots of purrs and hope you are better this morning
  • Judy WilkinsJudy Wilkins MissionMember Posts: 162
    Accepted Answer
    Sorry this is late but even if Milly has gone a little, constipation could still be a problem for a while. You can add strained pumpkin or squash to her food for feeding through the tube. I don't know how well she's eating on her own (or if you have to coax her) but most cats don't mind some pumpkin added to their food. It's very safe & contains soluble fibre. You can give 1-2 tsp daily, mixed with food. It's frequently used for ill cats who become constipated. If you don't have pumpkin (or squash - just as good), there are other things you can use. Strained, mashed green peas work well too. Do you have any commercial hairball remedies? They help some by lubricating the stools. You can double the dose for a day to help move stools along, then give daily for a short time only. If it's an ongoing problem, ask you vet for a prescription for lactulose, a safe remedy that moves water into the lower intestine, keeping stools soft & helping the "good gut bacteria" for a healthy GI tract.