What should i do about my cat, she is having issues with her litter box?

My cat started to poop on a rug in my parents bathroom then she started to poop other places, but now she is peeing out side her litterbox too. i can't get ride of her i just don't have the heart. we got her about a year ago and she started this about 6 months ago. i'm getting tired of this and i'm willing to try anything that doesn't cost a whole lot. She uses her litterbox but sometimes she jsut goes outside in tents on the couch ontop of the dog cage, and some other places like the laundry room, etc. i don't know what to do i've tried different litterboxes and evan different litters.

Best Answers

• Judy WilkinsJudy Wilkins MissionMember Posts: 162
    Accepted Answer
    Good for you in saying you're not going to get rid of her. You've tried some of the first steps in helping her but there are more things that can be done. 1st, if their paws are sensitive, some cats don't like litter. It's one reason soft things like cloth is picked. 2nd, cats who feel pain when they poop, from constipation or other causes, associate the litter box with their pain. They avoid the box when they're sore. Is you cat constipated at all? Arthritis can make squatting painful too so they pick an easy place to go most times. If all possible medical causes are eliminated (please make sure 1st), you can modify her behaviour so she won't do this any more. It takes a little while & you need consistency & patience but it *CAN* be done. There's too much for me to explain so please read this page, particularly the part about cage training. It's NOT cruel but reinforces good behaviour. Inappropriate Elimination: http://www.harpsie.com/inappropriate_elimination.htm#getting_to_grips
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    Accepted Answer
    Great ansswers Moza, but don't forget that the #1 reason kitty pees and poops outside of box is due to health reason. the shelter i work at says up to 60% of the "litter box" return kitties were fixed in house due to UTIs. good luck
  • Diane DavisDiane Davis Member Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer
    Hi, One of my cats was having this problem, until someone told me about Cat Attract Litter, which you can buy at Petsmart. It's a little more expensive, but, it works. If you can't afford to continue using it, I gradually atarted mixing in their regular litter and now I'm back to their normal stuff and I haven't had any problems w/her going outside the box since.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    My "two cents"--by all means have her checked by a vet. Try having more than one litter box putting them around the house so that she can't help but use them and she doesn't have to look for them. If your box is covered, get one that's not. My Shizzie protested his covered box by starting to elminate right next to it. My daughter also uses "Yesterday's News" litter that's soft and not scratchy. If you have one of those automatic scoop boxes, she may be afraid of it.