has anyone used the soft paws instead of getting your grown cat declawed?

We are moving into a rental and big boy ollie loves door trim. He is four and I hate the idea of having to get him declawed.

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I've never heard anything bad about soft paws and it is a great alternative to declawing, especially an older cat. I've never used them, but I've heard they don't last forever (kind of like the artificial nails we women get) and need to be glued on which would probably take two people. Have you kept Ollie's claws trimmed? I've noticed when I trim my cats' claws they don't claw as much. I also provide many scratching posts around my house for my cats. They LOVE the corrugated cardboard slant-board with catnip on it. I have three of those around my house.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    I've used Soft Paws and they work pawsome! They come in many fun colors too! An application lasts about 4-8 weeks. Claws should be trimmed before application too. They have a website: www.softpaws.com for more info.
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    Accepted Answer
    I've had really bad results with Soft Paws. I would DEFINATLY try them before i'd consider declawing, they are not much of an investment and if they work, great. But there are other methods to train a cat if it's just things like door frames. 1) sticky tape. this feels bad on the cat's paws, and they won't scratch those areas. just put it on the door frames as high up as kitty likes to scratch. 2) active water botteling if you see your cat scratching anything he isn't supposed to 3) put up tinfoil on the door frames. looks stupid, but it's cheep and your cat keeps his or her claws. 4)staple swatches of pretty cloth down the painted wall (NOT the frame). kitty won't scratch there with the material