How can my friend get her parents to by a kitten for her?

Arrianna NianArrianna Nian VA/ reston/ Thunderclan/HomeMember Posts: 9

Best Answers

• Marye PearceMarye Pearce AlexandriaMember Posts: 26
    Accepted Answer
    Tell them I'll do all the chores if I don't take the cat away! But if I can't do some of them it doesn't count.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysMember Posts: 15,800
    Accepted Answer
    The best way is for your friend to show them that she can be responsible. My mom let get get Tinker Bell because I told her that I would take care of her. She believed me because I am at least fairly responsible. Your friend's parents also may have a good reason not to get a cat. Not enough money, appartment won't allow pets, etc.
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    Accepted Answer
    I saved all of the money for my first kitten, and paid for her to get her first shots and get spayed. This was all when I was 14. I rally don't think its a good idea for kids to get cats if their parents are opposed...it creates a tense family situation and usually ends with an adult cat being given up, which is awful for everyone in involved. If they're really opposed she should wait until she lives on her own and can support and care for one. Also, she should consider getting an adult as opposed to a kitten, then she can save a cat who really needs a home, and they tend to be calmer. If she picks a really cool adult from the SPCA it should already have good habits. There are so many teenagers/kids who post on here that they got kittens and their parents are mad that is doesn't sleep at night/doesn't always use the litterbox/plays too rough/etc. It would be a shame for this to happen to your friend also.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Please understand, there might be really good reasons why her parents do not allow a pet in their home, and ultimately the parents have the last word, so there might not be a way. I can tell you that I kept asking for a cat from the time I was 8 all the way til college, but my parents never budged. Turns out that my mom was really afraid of cats because of some bad childhood experiences. She has since met Boris, and eventually got over her fear, but knowing what I know now I feel bad for all the pestering she had to suffer through over the years. If your friend gets really really lonely for kittens, maybe she can come visit yours. I never had a cat as a child, but had a few friends over those years who kept cats, and who would let me play with theirs (provided the cats were the playful kind).
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with all the other posters. Badgering the 'rents into finally saying yes to a kitten does not make for a real good family situation and the one who usually suffers is the kitten. In my home, I am the one who brings home the animals, but I am an adult and I can afford to pay for food, vet care and the occasional toy. If your friend is really "into" cats, she can volunteer at a local shelter. They can always use the help, and by doing that, she may be able to prove to her parents that she can handle one of her own.