My humans are searching for a natural way to get rid of our fleas. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Shauna RobinsonShauna Robinson BallymenaMember Posts: 11
    Accepted Answer
    I've heard of a couple of things your humans can do Ashra, the first is to place the herb, Pennyroyal around your home, it repels fleas. The second is to have them bathe you in a mixture of warm water and DAWN Lemon Scented Liquid Soap. It is a great flea killer and repellent - and I know you probably wont like getting a bath but if it stops the fleas it cant be all that bad!! your humans could also try making their own remedy by mixing fennel, rosemary, wormwood, yellow dock and rue together and sprinkling it on you - though this sounds like alot of work. Other products containing cedar oil, eucalyptus or citronella would help and they won't dry out your coat!! I havn't tested these methods myself but other kitty owners I know have seen results!! Hope this helps your humans Ashra!!
  • VALERIE KNEELANDVALERIE KNEELAND ST LOUISMember Posts: 38
    Accepted Answer
    Fleas usually gain entry to your home through your pet or visitors' pets. For every flea on your pet, there may be as many as 30 more in the pet's environment. Before reaching for pesticides, try these safer choices: Bathe and comb your pet regularly. Use mild soap, not insecticides. If fleas are found on the comb, dip the comb in a glass of soapy water. Citrus is a natural flea deterrent. Pour a cup of boiling water over a sliced lemon. Include the lemon skin, scored to release more citrus oil. Let this mixture soak overnight, and sponge on your dog to kill fleas instantly. Add brewer's yeast and garlic, or apple cider vinegar, to your pets' food. However, it is not advisable to use raw garlic as a food supplement for cats. Cedar shampoo, cedar oil and cedar-filled sleeping mats are commercially available. Cedar repells many insects including fleas. Fleas in the carpet? The carpet should be thoroughly vacuumed especially in low traffic areas, under furniture along walls.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    ..and when you do vaccum, make sure you remove the bag and put it outside or the fleas will crawl right out and back to where they were. Vacuuming doesn't kill the fleas, it just takes them for a fun ride into the cleaner. ;-) If your animals sleep with you, then you need to treat your bedding, also. I admit, after having awful sores on my hands all summer long, almost to the point of being embarrassed to go to the store and pay for something 'cause my hands looked so bad, I went to my vet's and got some spray they sell. OTC flea stuff didn't work. This stuff did though.
  • Theresa BaileyTheresa Bailey Willamette ValleyMember Posts: 17
    Accepted Answer
    I would councel against pennyroyal or any other essential oils. Cats finely tuned, but delicate systems are not meant to try to get rid of the highly concentrations in essential oils (my herb book also says pennyroyal essential oil is toxic). I agree on vaccuming, often. One of my favorite things was a product with beneficial nematodes in it. These are tiny little organisms that live in soil and eat the flea (and other) larve. I can't remember the name right now, but an internet search would probably find it. It had a jar that attached to the hose and sprayer and you spray your yard (where the fleas come from). It's 100 % harmless to pets and kids. You can go roll around in it right after spraying. I found it very effective when I used it. No fleas outside, means none coming in.
  • Drea MulcahyDrea Mulcahy Upper Darby/PhiladelphiaMember Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer
    A thorough vacuum (with proper disposal of the bag) and a bath in a shampoo or soap containing citrus oils (look for dilimonene) can work wonders. TresEmme makes a great smelling shampoo for humans that contains dilimonene. However, remember to repeat all treatments in 2 weeks (thats a fleas life cycle and failure to treat again can allow any missed eggs to hatch). A DROP of pure eculyptus oil from a health food store, placed in a dish out of reach of all fuzzy family, can help keep fleas at bay. The war on fleas is a difficult one-but it can be won!!
  • Ruth SaundersRuth Saunders Member Posts: 139
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Ashra, There is an all natural flea product called- Flea Away found at allnaturalpet.com. It can be found elsewhere, also, with a search, or you could search the main ingredient. I brought something like it, (same main ingredient), and I really like it. It contains Diatomaceous Earth, which is a powder comprised of microskeletons of deceased diatons, which are a type of algae, (both fresh water and sea water varieties occur). It works by when the fleas come in contact with it they dehydrate and die. It is odorless, and non-toxic. You apply it once a month, to pets and areas. I also give my cat,(who goes out), Heartguard chews to protect against heartworm, since this product is for only for fleas and other bugs. I have also read Brewer's Yeast put in their food works by making their blood not as "tastey".