my oldest cat is 3 and the youngest is 2 years old

last year 2007 my cats had fleas i treated them they dont have them nomore that i see but my 2 cats have bites all over there bodies. my 3 year old cat has alot more he is covered and he tends to throw up alot. they r not up to date on there shots they r indoor cats.they both scratch alot and bite themselves alot and they lose there fur and then it grows back the older cat -3 years old has lost a lot of weight and looks kinda like a kitten

Best Answers

• Katie RutlandKatie Rutland Rock HillMember Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer
    You should take them to a vet ASAP. I'm no expert-- but this doesn't sound good.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    It's possible that your cats have been exposed to diseases that the fleas carried. You have to treat your cats (and dogs) for fleas every month with Frontline or other flea stuff. You also have to treat your home (sometimes even outside) if you have a really bad infestation of fleas or they will just come back, even in winter. Your cats could also have worms (from the fleas) that are causing him to lose his fur and lose weight, too. If you don't have the funds to keep your kitties up to date on their shots, then try calling a local shelter or rescue organization. Sometimes they will help out or can tell you where you can go to get low-cost or free vet care. Please don't put this off. It sounds like your kitties need help right away or you could lose all three of them in a not-so-good way to go.
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    Accepted Answer
    VET NOW. Fleas can make them very sick, especially if they dont have their shots.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    If you treated them with over the counter stuff, I guarantee you that they did no good, and what you have is a full blown infestation. Left unchecked, flea infestations can cause anemia, which will cause cats to get really sick, and therefore start losing weight. The cats need to see a vet so that the vet can prescribe something that will kill the fleas immediately. can put them on a monthly flea treatment so that even if the fleas are still in your home, they find no purchase on your cats, or you can have your home treated for fleas. If you have carpets, fleas eggs can live in your carpets for up to a year, even without any feline hosts in sight. So all your carpets and upholstery will need to be treated, either by a professional, or you can use over the counter growth retardants like Zodiac. Having lived through one flea infestation, I'd actually suggest you combine the preventive and treating the home. It was the only way I stopped scratching and biting until I drew blood. :(
  • Lynne Ann MachowskyLynne Ann Machowsky DaytonMember Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Please please go to your vet asap. Even tho your cats are indoors there are certain shots that they still must have...and rabies is required by law now in many states whether your cats are inside or outside. As far as fleas...what did you treat them with. One of the best is frontline and it works really well..even if your cats already have fleas. Also after treating them you will need to get them to a safe place and flea bomb your house to kill them. Good luck to you and have a nice day.