Opinions wanted: Should Sara kitty be kept in her environment or adopted to an indoor home?

Sara, our old lady kitty, (16 years old) was adopted last summer from the neighbors next door when they moved. She's happy and adopted us completely. However, with our 6 inside, Sara's indoor/outdoor. I love her and want to keep her, but want to do what's best for her. My boyfriend loves her, but thinks she would be better off being adopted out to someone who would keep her indoors only. This is not one of those argument points for us, just wanting to do the best thing for Sara and interested in hearing others' opinions/experience/etc. about older cats, keeping them in their "home" environment, etc. I know that indoor-only cats live longer (and all the reasons for this), but at her age wonder if the feeling of home is a factor to consider too. Thanks! :)

Best Answers

• Alexz RodriguezAlexz Rodriguez Member Posts: 4
    Accepted Answer
    My advice would have to be to "follow your heart". I say this because I know you care for her or you wouldn't be asking. If she's comfortable with you and your boyfriend, I think it might make it difficult to transition to another home. However, if it really bothers you that she is outside sometimes, maybe talk to some of the people you're closest to and see if they could take her. That way it might be easier on you and her knowing that she's with someone you trust and that you can still see her.I hope this helped :)
  • Judy WilkinsJudy Wilkins MissionMember Posts: 162
    Accepted Answer
    How much is Sara indoors? Her profile says she dwells outside. Does she come indoors more now? If Sara loves being outdoors, taking this away from her at her age may destroy her spirit. You both need to decide if it would. The sense of "home" is stronger in some than others. Being outdoors is natural for cats. Most love the stimulation it provides. Can you be certain that Sara has a safe outdoors environment, away from roving dogs (or predators), cars, deviants who harm pets or poisons left about (e.g antifreeze)? I think it's also important to keep her inside at night & keep her indoors when it's freezing in winter. If you provide her a safe outdoor place as well as allowing her indoors, she'd probably be happiest. But IF there are dangers outdoors, it'd be better to keep her inside. Reflexes & sensory perception in older cats, even healthy ones, diminish over the years. What was safe when she was younger may not be so safe now. Maybe limited access to outside for short periods?
  • Ellie WalkerEllie Walker Member Posts: 72
    Accepted Answer
    Well, my opinion is that if she is spayed (because if not, you would have her and her kittens to care for) and she seems happy the way she is, then you should just leave her. If she looks like she would enjoy the indoor-kitty-life, then you can look for a home for her. Just understand that if she seems content with her current life, limiting her freedom by making her an indoor kitty could make her unhappy. Hope this helps, :) Munchkin
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with everyone who answered, but as usual, would like to put in my "two cents". Sara sounds happy with you. She is still in her home environment since she's right next door to her old house. Having an outdoor kitty isn't a capital crime. There are plenty of kitties who live outside and thrive. My "grandkitty" Cole is one of them. He loses his fur when he's kept inside during the winter. If you adopt her out as an indoor-only kitty, Sara might be miserable with someone else, be in a strange environment and could face being readopted again and again, or worse, in her old age. She could also bolt outside. If you do decide to keep Sara as an outdoor kitty, you will have to be very vigilant. Check with your vet about having her spayed if she's not already. If she begins to lose her sight or hearing or becomes arthritic and can't move around as fast, you'll need to keep her in for her own safety. If she's OK doing what she's doing now, then I'd leave things status quo.