My neutered male cat is having troule jumping. Seem unsteady on his back legs, help!

My 3 year old neutered male has recently begun to have a problem being able to jump onto the bed or even onto my lap. His hind legs seem "wobbly" or unsteady. Gabby has always been a jumper and climber and has not, to my knowledge had any falls that would cause an injury. As far as I have been able to tell, he is not having a problem urinating. He is not tender anywhere along his spine or in the kidney area. Up until three nights ago he has always slept on the bed with me, the last 2 times he tried to get on the bed his back legs just didn't seem to give him enough propulsion to make the short jump. He is having some difficulties getting up steps as well, though no problems in getting down them.

Best Answers

• Linda DeAngeloLinda DeAngelo Los AngelesMember Posts: 76
    Accepted Answer
    Was Gabby recently neutered? If not, then it is unlikely that his current condition has anything to do with neutering. You should take your kitty into the vet ASAP if this continues.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    I would take him to the vet and see what s/he suggests is the problem. As the other catster said, neutering wouldn't do this, but a bad reaction to routine vaccinations (if he's had some recently), or a bad fall that displaced one or both hind leg bones could do this. Either way, cats are good at hiding pain, so it's possible that he might be "tender" but hiding it.