Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

How do you give medication to a cat that refuses pills or liquid?

Michele AshleyMichele Ashley Chattanooga/HixsonMember Posts: 3,161
I have tried everything to get my cat to take his meds but he will gag on pills and spit them out. He also spits out liquid. I am at my wits end.

Best Answers

• Linda DeAngeloLinda DeAngelo Los AngelesMember Posts: 76
    Accepted Answer
    I have this problem myself and hate pills and liquid. My foster mom and dad have a hard time with me. What worked for me was getting a pill shooter. It cost less than five dollars and they got it from the local pet store. If foster mom can get the pills into the back of my mouth with the shooter and holds my mouth shut I will sollow almost every time. Good luck! (George... take my advise... just give in... they need to give you the pills!) Sending lots of love! Eddie : )
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Have you tried crushing pills or mixing liquid in super stinky food? That's how mom gives me pills/liquids, and even though I can tell something is strange (wet food? For no reason?), I can't help myself and eat it!
  • paula amershekpaula amershek Member Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer
    Some of the vets have some pill covers that will cover a pill and the cats will eat it. It has worked with quite a few that hated anything We tried. Now of course one or so of cats may refuse it... but I understand the struggle of getting a cat to take medications.
  • Misty CahoonMisty Cahoon EllabellMember Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    I have tried everything with Kasper this past week.. what worked for me was 1. Take away their food... then when they start asking for it (didnt take Kasper very long LOL) I took some wet food / tuna (the 3rd day we used tuna LOL) and chopped the pill VERY finely. Then mix a SMALL amount of food w/ the pill till it is all mixed in.. any part showing they will pick out or around.. After I did that he ate it all right up... Took him a few minutes or so till he Accepted the flavor though.. Then once he was done I gave him the rest of the pack of food & gave him back his normal dry food as well... Hope this helps!!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Those little pill cover things are called "Pill pockets" and my vet has them. Sometimes they work and I also use them for my dogs even though they're made for kitties. You can also get them at Banfield Vet at PetsMart stores if your vet is closed. When I had to give my late great little guy, Shizzie, pills or liquid, I asked my daughter to help. He was such a laid-back little guy until we had to medicate him! We wrapped him in a towel with only his little head sticking out, like swaddling a baby. I held his head between my shoulder and neck and held his body in the towel. My daughter opened up the side of his lip, stuck the dropper in and shot the Clavamox down his throat. Poor little guy. From then on, whenever he saw us reach for a towel, he'd hide!
  • Alison RoncoAlison Ronco Philadelphia, HatfieldMember Posts: 72
    Accepted Answer
    A few years ago I rushed Kitty to the emergency Vet at University of Pennsylvania, they sent us home with antibiotics in a gel form, it was a little bit thicker than toothpaste, and I smeared a little bit on his front paws, instinctively he licked it off. I've also had my vet give us mint-flavored liquid meds, which I was surprised that he seemed to like. Crushing pills in canned food usually works, I guess it depends if your kitty is a fussy eater.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    Tuna. Oscar J. will stand on his head and sell his soul for tuna. Works every time. Whatever George loves but doesn't get that often would probably be a good start.