kitten got out and may have gotten 'friendly'...how paranoid should we be?

terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
shyloh got out-roommate opened the door when she set off our oversensitive smoke alarm, said it wasn't open far enough for the cats to get out...oops and grrrr. shy is five months old, and we noticed she was out when she body-slammed the door while we were wincing at the nightly serenade of courting cats. she'd lost her collar, and while there were no scratches, her...special place, can i say that on catster? looks different. more open, if that makes sense. no blood or discharge. she was getting spayed on wednesday anyway, so no worries about pregnancy...but what about other diseases? she's not vaccinated-scream at me later, ok?-and there are diseases out there that you can't vaccinate for anyway. we don't trust the vet we take the adult cat to, been looking for one we like. long story. should we quarantine shyloh in case she's picked up something? i'd think we're ok for tonight, but i'd like to know something soon. i don't think she's in heat...so maybe nothing happened? not sure.

Best Answers

• Judy WilkinsJudy Wilkins MissionMember Posts: 162
    Accepted Answer
    Hi! I don't blame you for feeling paranoid, especially with the "I'm-in-the-mood" cats all about. But you likely have little to worry about. If Shyloh isn't in heat, it's also unlikely that any male cat would try to mate with her. She wouldn't be attractive to them. Is Shyloh 'presenting' at all? You know, back end raised with front end lowered & tail to one side? If not, she's unlikely to have been mated with - or even tried. How long was she out for? I bet she was mostly scared & hid. If so, another reason to think it's unlikely she would've picked up any diseases. Poor little girl. She probably just needs comforting after her scary experience. I can't say 100% that nothing happened but I honestly don't think you have to worry - other than the normal worry any good 'mom' does about her baby. You do know that you can do a search for recommended vets in diff cities, right? If you're not sure how, email me back & I'll help.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    OK-ok, calm down. Deep breath in through nose, out through mouth... Stuff happens and not always with diasterous results. She's back, and that's a good thing. Thank Heavens she's getting spayed tomorrow. My daughter went through this and everything was fine with her kitties. She actually had an FIP positive cat in her condo without knowing it. But, none of her other cats caught it and they're all fine. Izzie was born out of a stray cat and he also is fine. Although we always warn about these diseases, they really are not rampant among cats, and little Shyloh would probably have to be exposed for more than a few hours to get them. Just keep and eye on her, check her for fleas, which she CAN pick up in a few hours outside and be vigilant. I know that you do the best you can for those little girls of yours and would never "scream" at you. :-)
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    I'm not gonna yell at you or anything, but I do hope that this little snafu will encourage you to get the kittens in for vaccinations. They should have all their vaccinations by the six month mark exactly to prevent this sort of potential problems. As for Shiloh's privates, if there are no visible signs of forced entry, and no blood (a tom cat's penis is spikey, and thus will likely cause bleeding even if the female has already gone though intercourse) it's just possible that going outside and smelling all the cat hormones about might have started the heat process. I hope not, for the little girl's sake, but if so, it's very lucky she's going in for a spay when she is. I would say you should ask the vet what to do, but he might tell you that if there are no scratches or bites, you should not worry about it too much. A lot of kitty diseases like FIV and FIP are more easily caught during fights than during mating, so no scratches is a good thing.
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    Accepted Answer
    hmmm. well for 1, don't worry about FIP. it's not contagious. coronavirus (the cause) is however. that being said FeCoV doesn't last long outside and it's unheard of in feral cat pops since there is no sharing of litterboxes (main form of transmission). FeLV is highly contagious, they can screen her for that at the vet in a few months. FIV is only transmitted from bites so no bites= no FIV, but to be safe wait a few months and test her. your biggest concern should be panleukemia, highly contagious, no cure and 100% fatal. so please get the FVCRP series when you can. being she wasn't out long she's probably fine, but watch her.your biggest problem probably will be fleas or a slight chance of a URI. good luck!