What shound I do about a kitten I purchaced that has an Upper Respitory Infection? Should I call th

About a week ago I purchaced a Sphynx kitten on the trip home from picking him up I noticed his breathing sounded stuffy. Once we got him home I noticed he was sneezing snot. The next day I called the breeder and told her she said maybe you got him chilled I said no I dont think so he was stuffy sounding on the way home. That was on Saturday on Monday I took him to the vet and they diagnosed him with an upper Respitory infection. 10 days latter and he is still sneezing and sounds stuffy. I am upset that I payed as much as I did and now I have a sick kitten and I have exposed my current cat to Upper Resp infection. I know that it is partly my fault I should have done more research on cat illnes before hand. We really love Cozmo and dont want to return him but I feel like I done wrong. What should I do any suggestions would be great?

Best Answers

  • Cristina HenryCristina Henry AshburnMember Posts: 482
    Accepted Answer
    If you can prove Cozmo has an life-altering virus or a genetic defect, you are entitled to either a replacement cat or your money back. The decision to give up a cat is difficult, especially when you've bonded with them. I saw a similar case on the Judge Judy show. If you decide to keep the cat, you are not entitled to your money back because you are accepting the terms of the sale contract. You could keep the cat and make it difficult for the breeder to continue their business by reporting them under the law in as many ways as you can... only if you can show evidence that the cat was sold sick or defective. The good news is kittens are known to get URI when they first move into a new home due to stress, although URI caused by stress should not last more than 10 days. I hope the vet provided antibiotics. If the cat has a life-altering virus, you could face extra vet costs and a shorter life for the cat. If the cat has a genetic defect such as HCM, only tragic consequences will follow.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Your first concern should be for the kitten. If it is not already on a course of antibiotics then it should be. Kittens do come up with URI's when they go to a new home, but that doesn't mean it's OK. It still needs to be on meds. URI's can be life-threatening to a kitten. And you also need to watch your other cat, although if it's an adult, a URI is less serious but it should still be watched. It sounds like the breeder is not going to take responsibility for selling a sick kitten. If you have a signed (by her) agreement, read it very carefully to see what your rights are and what she will do for you. When you take the kitten to the vets, get a signed document stating what shape the kitten is in. If the vet believes the kitten was sold to you sick, then have that included in the document. You can take this breeder to small claims court. You can report her to your local animal control officer and to any Sphynx breeder's associations in your area. But get the kitten back to the vet.
  • Cynthia LeathersCynthia Leathers Member Posts: 131
    Accepted Answer
    When you got the kitten, you no doubt signed a contract with the breeder specifying what her return policy is and what your responsibilities are. Your kitten should have been neutered and had his first series of kitten shots. Check your contract carefully to see what it says as you are bound by it, good or bad. URI's are VERY common in kittens and it's not the result of bad breeding. He could have gotten it as an airborne virus. Right now, concentrate on getting your kitten better. Keep your kitten on his meds and follow your vets' advice. They take a few weeks to get completely clear. As it is hard for a kitten to eat when their nose is stuffed, you need to make sure he is eating and drinking and not losing weight. If he is losing weight or not gaining, take him to the vet IMMEDIATELY and ask for advice on syringe feeding (Science Diet a/d is great for this). I work with URI kitties at a shelter all the time and they get better in 2-3 weeks. Good luck!
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    Accepted Answer
    Be patient and give the meds time, kittens take time to adjust also and can sometimes come down with URI symptoms in a new environment. Even if he/she was diagnosed, I say just wait it out.. things may turn out just fine.
  • Glen RocheGlen Roche NYMember Posts: 66
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with everything everyone said above, but I'd like to add that YES, you should call the breeder. Call the breeder to let his know that your kitten had an infection, and that his other kittens and cats might be sick or get sick soon. If the breeder isn't a monster, he will then get his cats medical attention if they need it. This could have been an honest mistake by the breeder, since cats do sometimes get sick for no reason. Or, the cat could have become sick after leaving the breeder. But, if I were an honest breeder, I'd appreciate someone giving me a heads up about a potential illness.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to the new Catster Community!

Introduce the community to your pet with our Pet Profiles and discover how to use the new community with our Getting Started pages!


Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!