Diet..

Brittany AnnBrittany Ann Saint JohnMember Posts: 1
edited 8 September, 2005 in Food & Nutrition
Does anyone know a good diet food that cats will actually eat? My cat is 36lbs, she really needs to lose some of that. My other cat is getting up there too. Any suggestions?

Comments

• rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    if you free feed dry you might want to cut the amount in half. my cats like Max Cat and Natural Choice, but it may take a while to get your cats to eat the new food you just have to be persistant.
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Exactly how much does Sassy get fed every day? You will have to reduce the amount gradually. She should be taken to a vet who will be able to give you advice.
  • Nathalie FerreiroNathalie Ferreiro North Orange CountyMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Just feed 3/4 to 1 cup a day of a filler-free food. Don't free-feed, and don't give treats. Both of us eat Natural Balance. It's a great food, and we're happy, healthy cats.
  • Veronica MorrisVeronica Morris El Cerrito/SF Bay areaMember Posts: 14,677
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Believe it or not, I actually have lost a few pounds. My parents just reduced the amount of high quality food I eat. So, I get about 1/4 cup a day of Innova Evo. It's the best food on the market (in my opinion) cuz there are no grains at all, so no fillers. It's also really really yummy. Anyway, over the course of a year I lost almost 5 lbs. But then recently my parents went on vacation for a week and so left us unlimited food (so it'd be easier for the person taking care of us) and I gained 2 lbs back. Yeah, I'm a pig! So anyway, I'm working on loosing that.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    I agree with Saleen about Evo. I\'ve been eating that since June and I\'ve already lost a pound. I free feed but Evo fills me up, so I don\'t feel like eating as much, even though it\'s super yummy. Between my sister and I, we eat about 2/3 cup per day.
  • Veronica MorrisVeronica Morris El Cerrito/SF Bay areaMember Posts: 14,677
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hmmm Alex, wonder what it feels like to be full? I am the eating machine! Sometimes when I can't fit any more food in, I'll throw it up and then pick out the yummiest pieces of that food and then go back to the foodbowl. I just can't figure out why my parents won't free feed me? My mom thinks I am obsessed with food because I was only 8.5 lbs (same size big frame as now!) when they got me from teh animal shelter... I had been there for over a month, so mom guesses I was even skinnier than that when I came in. Boy was I skinny! I guess I'm always afraid my food will dissapear. THey did free feed me when they first got me, but then I got fat. In fact, sometimes when the dog is a few minutes slow in bringing mom her medicine case so we get fed, I will go over to that stupid dog and meow at her and run over to the case for her. I think I am much better at telling time than she is! But anyway, Evo is yum! And you can definately loose weight on it!
    We definitely pigged out on Evo at first. Then we got used to it and it\'s not such a big deal anymore. Incidently, if you\'re eating lots of food really fast and then barfing, it could be because the dry food is expanding and becoming too big for your tummy after you eat it. Your humans might be able to solve that by adding a little warm water to your food and letting it soak in. That way it will already be expanded when you eat it and you\'ll feel full sooner and not try to eat as much. I\'m sorry you were starved and abandoned. I haven\'t had such a hard life. I just love food!
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I love my cat food! It is very very healthy too... It is for cats who need a diet, it's called Wellness Super5Mix Lite.
  • Renee KatruskaRenee Katruska SeattleMember Posts: 61
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Right now, I'm eating 3/4 cup of Science Diet Light a day and no treats ('cept maybe a lil bit of tuna sometimes)..no more Whisker Lickin's! :( I tried Hill's Prescription m/d food and didn't like it all that well.
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Alex, thanks for the idea about wettting the dry food a bit. Sometimes I eat too fast, throw it up then go back for more. Maybe this will help.
  • Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
    edited 27 February, 2006
    For you cats eating Evo, is that the dog formula, or is there a cat formula too? Isabel and Rosie get Evo sprinkled on top of their Calfornia Natural/Solid Gold mix. It always smells so good, I want some too.
    We eat EVO cat food and it\'s very yummy. If your mom has found a store that sells EVO dog food, you should tell her to pester them to get the cat food, too. If they can get one, they can get the other too.
  • Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Dad gets the Evo from Phydeaux. That's where he got the Wild Side Salmon. It's freeze dried salmon pieces. I call it YUM! I'll be sure to make him ask about the feline EVO.