Confinement ideas to stop urine marking in spayed female, indoor and front declawed, multicat home w

Kathleen BKathleen B CincinnatiMember Posts: 135
I'm hoping to retrain my 10 year old about proper elimination. I don't have a room to confine her without limiting space for her 7 sisters. Outside "foster" strays are probably encouraging the marking as well as I think I just have too many cats in the house, but they aren't going anywhere. The marking has grown over years from 2 areas in one room to multi areas in every room, HELP! I want to confine her while I clean up the place and make sure no other cats are marking, a crate is too small. Anyone know of a good cage or pen that I can keep her in to retrain her on the litter box? She hates litter boxes and all types of litter that I've tried. She actually cries when I put her in a litter box. She sprays walls, dressers etc. I've seen catteries but that's not practical. I need to confine her but can't find a proper cage/pen that is roomy enough. Any advice is greatly appreciated !

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    You can use a large dog cage, one that's meant for a large puppy or a medium size full-grown dog. You can put a litter box on one side and her food/water on the other. Include a few of her toys and blanket and she should be OK. This is how I socialized Izzie. I also made sure I kept a carpet or blanket on the floor of the cage so he was not on the bare metal.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Gee, it's too bad you don't live in Japan. We're not too good about getting the latest in cat food and other products, but we have GREAT cages, probably because a lot of Japanese think that cats should be caged when no one's home. The best cages have two or three levels, with a half shelf on each level, since vertical space is so important to cats. The bottom area is big enough for a litter box, cat bed, food/water dishes, etc., although in the interests of sanitation, a water bottle, or metal food/water dishes that can be attached to the side of the cage (the dishes that are used with cat show cages) might be best. The bottom is smooth, not cage metal like the rest of the cage, to make cleaning easier. You can even suspend a kitty hammock from the top--cats love them. Are you sure that these aren't available in the U.S., either in pet supply stores or over the Internet? I sure hope you solve your problem. It's a really tough one.
  • Stephanie LitosStephanie Litos Member Posts: 210
    Accepted Answer
    I noticed that your cat has been declawed and you say she cries when you put her in a litterbox. I suspect that the declaw procedure has made it so her paws hurt when they touch the litter--this happens with some declawed cats. Have you tried litter like Yesterday's News? It is basically shredded newspaper and is supposed to be more comfortable on a cat's paws. If the litter is the problem, no matter how much you clean you aren't going to be able to train her to use the box if it is just too painful. Sorry I don't have any suggestions on confining her, but I do think you should try a new litter with her, in addition to thoroughly cleaning the areas she has urinated in with something like Nature's Miracle.
  • katherine Likelykatherine Likely YelmMember Posts: 63
    Accepted Answer
    My friend built his kitty a vertical cage. The thing stands 6 feet tall is 3 feet wide, they made it so it fits into a corner. There is a sheet on the bottom and a soft pillow on a wide low box shelf with sides about 1 foot up, then a little higher about 8 " and on the other side is a shelf with edges that is wide enough for the cat to eat on and has the water and food dishes. Up another 7" on the side where she cn lay down is another shelf like box with a piece of carpet in it. Sometimes there kitty plays with it and toss's it on the floor of the cage and sometimes she just lays there watching everyone. There are several shelfs some with edges and some without. Litter tray is filled with shreded paper and when they are out of that they put dirt in it - she seems to like it better than cat gravel. They let her out occasionaly by opening the kitty door that is 3'8" from the ground and yes it has a shelf on the outside of the cage. Sometimes she just lays on the shelf.