Does FIP respond to treatment?

Member Posts: 3
My cat is in the "kitty hospital" due to suspected FIP. He is on an IV and antibiotics and seems to be getting better. He had a fever of 105.5 on Sat. but was gone by Monday (when we took him to the 2nd vet). He is now eating and going to the bathroom on his own and walking around. If it is FIP, would he be getting better like this? Does the IV/antib. support just make it seem like he's getting better? I don't know much about FIP, but I thought that it didn't respond to traditional treatment. I guess I just want to know if I should get my hopes up or not. Thanks-

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your kitty. Unfortunately, if it is truly FIP there is no cure at this time. Your vet (and you) can make your cat comfortable with medications and lifestyle, but once you notice your cat is going downhill and in pain, it's best to ask your vet about humane euthaniasia. Purrs and ear-rubs!