Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

malicious attacks on Catster

Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
What motivates people to attack others on Catster, mess with their accounts, and turn them into HQ as "please review this page because it is offensive", when clearly nothing is offensive about the page. Is it just to be malicious? or are some people so petty about others having different views, that they can only act out in negative ways instead of addressing the differences of opinions.

Best Answers

• Ruth BrouwerRuth Brouwer HuntsvilleMember Posts: 10,651
    Accepted Answer
    That is an excellent question, Dulci! And I think you answered it yourself. It IS malicious. There are "cats" who get all upset over religious and political issues. But actually, cats don't care about religion or politics. It would be better if the people typing for the cats would keep their opinions to themselves. But since we don't have thumbs, we need them to type for us. Unfortunately, they sometimes forget they are typing for US, and they throw their own opinions in!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Sweet Dulci, you and I have both experienced the wrath of this sort of person. Some people post questions on the Answers page or in forums and they already know the answer but when they see it in print from one of us, they get upset and attack. We are called "judgmental" and "opinionated" and turned in for review by HQ. Everyone knows there are too many homeless cats in the world today, but if one of us opines on spay and neuter, we're drawn and quartered. The person does not even consider that we have their cat's best interest at heart, only assumes that we are mounting a personal attack against them. You and I have had our differences, but I believe we have the same goal; the welfare of our kitties and that of everyone else's. We assume that if someone posts a question, they want an honest answer, not a sugar-coated one. The two of us have NEVER been mean or nasty to posters, just honest. And, if we can't be honest, then what's the sense of having these boards in the first place?
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    Accepted Answer
    Part of it is the topics here are suppose to be okay for an 8/9 year old to read-so some of the topics are a little heavy for that. Then there is the whole fake cat thing, and lastly you have the people who just want to start something-
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    The problem is not just the Answers and Forums, but, as I discovered to my horror, individual cat pages! Harvey's was temporarily "put in the kennel" because somehow he was listed as "adoptable"(some technical glitch? Hacking?), and when I put in a diary entry saying that he was NOT adoptable, HQ stepped in and removed his page. As I wrote in another post, we Catsters are an extremely diverse lot, regarding our opinions and also our ethnic and religious backgrounds. Not all of us are American, even, which has caused some problems recently when a member posted opinions from that Cat's country's point of view. We members of Catster have to learn to "agree to disagree," but I also think that HQ (who admittedly do a super job of maintaining this site, and are really NICE people if you talk to them in person)should allow for more diversity. As for the requirement of child-level content/language--this can lead to entries limited to things like "I have a cat. She is cute. I love her."
  • stef andstef and LemesosMember Posts: 1,132
    Accepted Answer
    Angel Dulci unfortunately some people here at Dogster and Catster can't understand that those both websites are places where you can chat with other pet lovers, share your own stories about your pets , show pictures of them and ask questions about pets.What I can make out is that the reason of those websites' existing is misunderstood by many people, who think that this is a great way to share their views about other things which have nothing to do with cats or dogs.That's sad but if we all try not to answer to them maybe they will stop.