My cat has had a heat stroke?

She had recently showed up in my backyard completely limp and not moving, little by little she recovered by drinking some water. She had no control of her body, and at times her body would completely tense, her back legs would jut out, and her front legs would straighten while her neck stiffened and her back would arch. Im really worried about her, but she is drinking, has some control over her front paws, her tail, ears, and eyes. Im not sure what to do, can you help? She was born of October around last year or the year before, and is a calico. And she can't really goto the bathroom besides a small amount of urine.

Best Answers

  • Karina GressKarina Gress Member Posts: 402
    Accepted Answer
    Woah, what you're describing with her getting all tense doesn't sound like heat stroke, it sounds like a seizure, possibly due to poisoning. If she's not peeing, her kidneys could be shutting down. Antifreezes and pesticides are everywhere this time of year, and are very toxic to kitties. Get her to a vet right away!!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Louie is absolutely right. You should not be on the computer asking us for help. You should be on your way to an emergency clinic for pets!!!
  • Ruth SaundersRuth Saunders Member Posts: 139
    Accepted Answer
    Heat Stroke is a true medical emergency that has neurological and physical symptoms, one of which can be seizures. Keep your cat cool (cool or tepid water on a towel/washcloth on her or fan). She will need immediate Vet attention to prevent any permanent organ damage, and, sadly, it can be fatal, (hope not for her and you). She is probably dehydrated if her output is so low, and being weak like that she won't be able to drink her way back to adequate hydration or like the other poster said, her kidneys are shutting down. What she needs is beyond what you can do at home. In the future be sure to protect your pets (like yourself, too) from heat stroke by keeping them hydrated and avoid letting them be active in the heat.
  • Robby PaulsenRobby Paulsen SycamoreMember Posts: 64
    Accepted Answer
    POOR THING!!! How long has she been like this? You didn`t mention if she`s eating at all. It could`ve been a heat stroke, but poisoning is another a good possibility. (either accidental or intentional) There are alot of people spraying their lawns for bugs, weeds etc. She also could have eaten a poisoned mouse or the likes. A high fever will cause all of those things too. She should be taken to a vet straight away, because all of those are life threatening. Whatever caused those symptoms, can also cause brain, liver, kidney and heart damage among others. Please have her treated. Good luck, Reggie
  • Roopa RajaramadossRoopa Rajaramadoss manchesterMember Posts: 205
    Accepted Answer
    As other posters said, take her to the VET immediately, My intention is not to scare you. You mentioned she showed up in your back yard.. So may be she was hit by a car or ate something poisonous. It is definitely an emergency situation where you should be calling a vet . Do let us know her progress. Take care. Purrs and Purr-rayers
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to the new Catster Community!

Introduce the community to your pet with our Pet Profiles and discover how to use the new community with our Getting Started pages!


Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!