how can i get my cat registered?

I just bought my adorable little blue russian kitty, from a lad y out of the newspaper. But the thing is se was moving and couldn't take the kittens, so she didn't have papers on them, so how do I go about getting my kitty registered?

Best Answers

• Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    Accepted Answer
    This seems suspicious. You need to get the registration papers from your breeder. Moving is not an excuse to not have the litter registered. Did you confirm the parents were registered? Breeders very rarely advertise in the newspaper. Please contact the person you bought your kitten from and ask if the parents are registered with CFA or TICA and find out exactly why the litter was not registered and why she cannot provide you with papers. Unfortunately, you probably will not be able to register your kitten and it is most likely not a purebred.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    Atrus is right - I agree this sounds suspicious. You need to get the papers from the breeder - and if you can't you will not be able to get your kitten registered. My breeder took care of my registeration. I also agree most reputable breeder don't advertise in newspapers. Hope you are able to get in contact with the breeder and good luck!
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    Accepted Answer
    No way to register the kitten without papers. Sounds like you may have gotten a DSH cat that looks like a Russian Blue. Hopefully you can contact this woman and either get the papers or get your money back (keeping the kitten of course).
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I don't understand this system perfectly, but it's possible to have a pedigreed cat that does not have a registraton number. My breeder in Japan usually just gives Japanese-issued pedigrees to his customers, and will provide individual cat registration numbers (from the CFA) for an additional fee. The pedigrees are valid, but are not from the CFA. In order to get your cat registered, first the breeder must register the litter, and he can give you your cat's registration slip directly, or have the CFA send it to you individually. Since my breeder doesn't speak English, and the CFA is based in the US, I did all the paperwork myself, registering the litter and having my cat's registration slip sent to me. But to do that, I needed the registration numbers of the parents and (I think) the number of his cattery. You only really need a registration number if you are planning to show your cat, or want to get a (say) CFA pedigree.