Do cats see colors? Or are they colorblind?

Member Posts: 1

Best Answers

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    I believe I read somewhere cats can see colors... but not quite the same as a human - basically somewhat colorblind? Cats see excellent as far as motion detection and low light though - serving them well as nocturnal hunters.
  • Olja AvlijasOlja Avlijas Belgrade, SerbiaMember Posts: 1,991
    Accepted Answer
    I've read a book where it says that they can make a difference between some colors, not sure which ones. But, as Linus said colors are not so important in their life and if they can see them than it's not even close as the way humans see it. That's because they hunt by night and at night colors don't make an important role, but ability to see the smallest move or to hear the lowest sounds. This is what i've found : "Cats responded to the colors purple, blue, green and yellow range. Red, orange and brown colors appear to fall outside cats color range and are most likely seen as shades of gray or purple."
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    When I was at school we studied the eye and how people see colours and did a bunch of experiments to test our vision. During that I learned that the only other animals that see colours like humans do are birds and fish. All other animals see either in black and white or some limited colour vision.