I have a cat that coughs and not a hairball cough.

My cat coughs, not all the time, but when he does it's for some time and it's not the cough of trying to get up a hairball, what can it be? Is it contagious to my other cats?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Coughing can indicate heart problems. Does he get tired out really fast and pant? Or, he could have allergies. They are a lot lower to the floor than we are, and he may be inhaling dust or something else. Are his eyes watery? Is he wheezing? There's no way of knowing if it is contaigious because we can't diagnose what your cat has over the Internet. Your best bet, if it continues is to take him to your vet. If you don't have a vet, now is a good time to find one. Good luck!
  • LS SummerLS Summer Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    Coughing is also a symptom of feline asthma. It will be helpful to your vet if you record the frequency of coughing spells and provide this info when you visit.