Hairballs

Olja AvlijasOlja Avlijas Belgrade, SerbiaMember Posts: 1,991
Is it normal ( or possible) that Sergei never had any thrown hairballs ever. He's 11 months old, and he does sometimes goes out. Why i ask this is because he's acting strange for few hours now. Like he wants to throw up, but...can't. He eats normally, ( ate once since this happened - normal amount of food), but he doesn't have "happy" face, if you know what i mean. He doesn't want to play - just sleeps. But, he's sleeping on his backs wide spread all across the couch ;) so i don't think he has any stomach problems. I can't go and visit the vet until the morning, so if anyone has any explanation what could this be..Please tell. Before those "few hours" he was playing normally. Did he eat something bad, or is it just a hairball...? Thanks

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    If he is "dry-heaving", it's possible he ate too much too fast. We all feel like that when we are "piggy" about our meals. Last summer, it cost me $250.00 to find out that my Izzie had gas, so unless he starts acting really sick, don't worry about it. If it was a hairball, if he's like my Delilah, he will just start yakking and not stop until it comes up. If you are concerned about hairballs, which Sergei probably won't get because he is short-haired, then I might be tempted to plant some catgrass (lots of sites available on the Web for seeds) for him. My cats like wheatgrass,others like ryegrass, but catgrass makes whatever is in there come out with the speed of a freight train. You know Sergei and know if he is sick. If he didn't feel well, he'd probably be hiding under the bed or in the closet and not taking up your whole sofa. (Are you all sitting on the floor so as not to disturb him?? ;-)
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I was intrigued by this question, so I looked it up on the Internet. Although Russian Blues do have double coats, according to at least one article I read, they are not as prone to shedding or hairballs as are most other breeds. Also, in my experience, short haired cats (in my case, DSHs) don't start doing heavy-duty shedding and hairball yakking until they're fully adult, and Sergei is technically still a kitten. I'll have to disagree with Izzie regarding short haired cats not being prone to hairballs. Both short haired Spot and the Maine Coons shed, with the main difference being that the MCs shed longer fur. The main kind of fur that is shed in the spring and summer is the downy undercoat, which short haired cats have in abundance. When I run my hand over Spot's back, all sorts of loose undercoat comes out. When I pet the Maine Coons, this doesn't happen. One reason may be that MCs have less of an undercoat than DSHs; the other is that I give the MCs baths more frequently.
  • Amanda SundbergAmanda Sundberg TulsaMember Posts: 257
    Accepted Answer
    Its possible that Sergei isn't trying to vomit at all. Especially if his appetite is normal.You would be surprised to find out how many "Trying to Vomit" and or "Trying to get something out of his throat" cases we get DAILY and in actuality these cats are coughing. If this is the case with Sergei it could be that he's coming down with an upper resp. infection and or possibly has allergies, though at only 11 months I don't think thats likely. If he is sleeping more, there is a good chance of him coming down with a "cold" even if he's indoor only. My Bella is fully vaccinated and indoors ALL the time and still gets sick occasionally.