Why does my cat pee everywhere?

My cat is 17 years old. He has hyperthyroid, though i dont think that has anything to do with this. He spends most of his time sleeping next to his food and litter box, but he will go out of his way to pee on our belongings (ie clothes, beds, dogs beds, rugs, etc) in other rooms. We keep his litter box clean, so we know its not because of that. any ideas?

Best Answers

• Diane LangDiane Lang Member Posts: 70
    Accepted Answer
    I had a cat that lived to be 18 and did similar things. As you know with a 17 year old cat they have trouble getting around. I hope you have a low sided litter box. I would make sure your baby does not have a bladder infection, my cat peed on things more when she did have an infection. They get them very easily at this age. Hope this helps
  • Alex RooneyAlex Rooney Member Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer
    has he been neutered??
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    Accepted Answer
    Most likely he has a UTI. You need go to the vet and get his urine checked. He will only continue these behavioral things if there is an infection. Once the infection clears, he should return to his normal peeing habits. If it turns out it's not an infection then your vet should be able to provide you with ideas to get him to stop the behavior. Since he's an elderly cat, you may want to also have more bloodwork performed. Recheck his thyroid along with his kidney and liver functions. You'll also want a CBC (complete blood count) and check his glucose to be sure he hasn't become diabetic.