i picked up a stray cat and it has REALLy bad mange, i was wondering if theres any home treatments

Its a kitten ,it has barely any hair and its skin in old and scaly

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    I don't think there are any effective home treatments and you need to take the kitten to a vet to get the right treatment for him. If money is a problem contact local cat rescue places and they will probably be able to help you get subsidised vet care for the kitten's mange. They'll also be able to help you get low cost spay/neuter and vaccinations too.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    There are several types of mange in cats and you need to have a vet determine what kind the cat has before they treat him. It sounds like demodectic mange which is caused by a mange mite and is also called "Red Mange". It's contagious, so if you have any other animals, I'd keep the stray separated and make sure you wash thoroughly whenever you handle him. He needs to go to the vet now for treatment. Mange, left untreated, can be fatal.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    Accepted Answer
    First you need to determine if it truly is mange. The only way to do this is a skin scraping. Your vet needs to perform this. You can not start treating skin conditions until the correct diagnosis is made. Take the cat to see a vet! If you can't afford a vet you need to take this kitten to a shelter where it can receive the medical treatment it deserves.
  • Baylee JohnsonBaylee Johnson GermantownMember Posts: 56
    Accepted Answer
    take him to the vet asap he could be sick and it may hert him really badly
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    God bless you for trying to help this cat (I would have run the other way when I saw the mange!). But you MUST take it a step further and take Kitty to the vet ASAP, as the other posters say. Good luck!