my 6 week old kitten eats its non clumping clay litter

Dene KileyDene Kiley San LeandroMember Posts: 9
at four weeks old the litter was introduced. she got in put her head down and immediately started eating the litter to which i promptly took her out. when i saw blood in her stool the next morning i called the vet first thing and brought her in that day. he didnt seem too worried, said the litter would pass and gave me some of their paper shreds they use in their office. she is using the box with the paper shreds but i think she likes to play with the little pieces more than thinking of them as a elimination area. also it was around the time the paper shreds were introduced that she started having dry sneezes. after she started sneezing for a few days i thought she might have cat flu or upper respitory but that would mean she would have runny eyes and nose too. i think its possible the sneezing might be from the paper. so last night i tried the litter again and she started eating it. any suggestions on other litter i can try that wont hurt her if she eats it?

Best Answer

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    You can try The World's Best Cat Litter (corn based) or Swheat Scoop (wheat based). These two would not harm her if she ate it. You could also try a pelleted litter like Yesterday's News (made from recycled newspaper) or Feline Pine (compressed pine pellets) she may find those less appealing.