Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Could you please help me!?

Elecia CoxElecia Cox LenoirMember Posts: 2
My 3 month old kitten was spayed on tuesday. it is now sunday, and i was wondering... how much swelling is considered normal? My kitten has a bump around the area of the incision about the size of a nickel. the vet used the kind of sutures that dissolve by the way, so there are no staples or anything. they told me that swelling is normal, but HOW MUCH? Is nickel sized too big or ok? the incision is not red, hot to the touch, bleeding or letting out puss...just swollen also, she is eating and drinking water fine, and she tries to play and jump onto everything. lol it is so hard to keep her from jumping

Best Answers

• lola nipperlola nipper Member Posts: 34
    Accepted Answer
    put a neck cone on her
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    Accepted Answer
    Some swelling is normal. As long as there is no discharge, redness and she's eating/drinking and leaving the incision alone you probably have no reason to worry. If she is lethargic or stops eating and drinking, the incision looks infected or is hot to the touch she should be seen on emergency. I would contact your vet tomorrow to see if they can take a quick peek at the swelling to determine if you need to do anything special (they should glance at the area free of charge) but if it needs medical attention expect to pay for a recheck exam +/- medicines.