Rodent Ulcers? :(

Member Posts: 124
My cat gets rodent ulcers (aka EGC). They started 2 years ago. He got them about 4 months apart, and each time, they were treated with a steroid and antihistimine injection. Now they are becoming more frequent. He got another one 2 months after his last injections, and now it is back after just 1 month. This time it has been going up and down. It's just on his lip- it usually gets really swollen quickly, but this time I got big and then went down on it's own and can barely be seen now. I know the shots aren't good for his immune system, and going to the vet REALLY stresses him out now (and I know stress also isn't good for his immune system!) I know it's not food allergies- he's on a limited ingredients diet now. What else could it be? Is there any other treatment besides shots! If there is.. my vet denies it. Thanks for all advice..

Best Answer

• Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    Accepted Answer
    I don't know much about rodent ulcers but I did want to address the possibility of allergies. My kitty was also on a limited ingredients diet for suspected food allergies yet she continued to get lesions on her head, ears, and chin/lip area. She got a couple of steroid shots but skin problems continued. She recently had a blood allergy test. My vet sent Lucy's blood to an allergy lab where they tested for food and environmental allergies. They found she is allergic to many food ingredients, including some found in limited ingredient vet-prescribed foods and she is allergic to 26 different environmental things (trees, grass, weeds, etc.). I was shocked by all of her allergies. Without the test, I never would have been able to identify the cause of her problems. If there is any possibility that the problems your cat is having are related to allergies, request an allergy test so that you will know for sure if food or environment may be causing the problems. Hope that helps.