we have 10 week old kittens outside. will a bird pick it up and take into a tree and kill it? 2 have

Member Posts: 1

Best Answers

• Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    Accepted Answer
    Kittens that young should NEVER be left outside. Get them insoide NOW! A cat or bird or other animal could harm or kill them. The elements are not suitable for kittens this young AND they are not vaccinated against the disease that pose a risk to their health.
  • Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    Accepted Answer
    Agree with Hunter, there is absolutely no reason these kittens should be outside and it's incredibly irresponsible of you. Also, unless you have gigantic eagles hanging around, no common bird is able to pick up a 10 week old kitten. Are you serious? Please find these kittens a better home immediately.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I was a feral kitten who used to live in a park. One day one of those big Tokyo crows started swooping down and picking off my sisters and brothers one by one and eating them. Finally it was just my brother and me left. I fought that nasty crow until he gave up and flew away. A kind human rescued us and took us to a vet, who later gave me to my present Mommy. I can attest to the fact (well-known and often observed in Tokyo) that crows can and do eat kittens.
  • Mindy SzumilaMindy Szumila AlpenaMember Posts: 71
    Accepted Answer
    Its not likey but it could happen. It depends on where you live. I have kittens through my whole life from the time they are born and its never happen to me. Did the mother move them and you didn't find them? Maybe they got sick and died? ( hope not) i dono but i don't think a bird would come and take it and kill it. depends on where you live i said. but you should move them into a barn or something that won't fly in and get the kittens.
  • Nicole ZiembaNicole Ziemba Member Posts: 295
    Accepted Answer
    Are they your kittens or are they ferrals? If you are able to take care of them bring them in or take them to a shelter or someone who can. I am going to assume since you know their age that they are yours? Anyway, yes there are a lot of birds of prey that can take them. My parents have a 2 pound dog that is never allowed out by herself...there are more birds then just Eagles...there are hawks as well as owls that would be happy to eat a 10 week kitten. Please give these kittens shelter from the elements.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    There are so many bad things that can happen to baby kittens outside that it makes my gut cramp. As the others have said, if there is any way you can get these guys into protective custody, please DO! At ten weeks they should be weaned and very active, making themselves known and obvious to neighborhood dogs, coyotes, hawks, cars, other predators and just plain sick people who like to collect stray kitties. If there are many of them, it's understandable that you cannot keep them, but perhaps you could enlist the help of a local shelter or rescue. And please, if possible, have the mother spayed--also with the help of the rescue who may have a fund to aid you.
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    Accepted Answer
    We have a variety of hawks and eagles where I live that would be capable of snatching a 10 week old kitten. It has already been stated, but just for emphasis, take these kittens inside. If they are your kittens, and you have let them out at this age, it is a terrible decision that must be rectified immediately.