Can you tell me about a birth control for cats, I just heard about it today...?

I have 5 cats and they are all spayed/neutered so I was just curious. Thanks for the help!!!

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    There are lots of studies being done about birth control, mainly to control the feral cat population in the USA. In my community, we are already using this sort of thing to control the population of raccoons and skunks. It's dropped from planes or thrown out of vehicles. It's a cube of something edible with the birth control vaccine inside. I haven't heard much about pet birth control other than there is an injection or a pill that can be given to the cat. I believe it is expensive and not 100% effective as spaying/neutering is. I've heard it's like a "morning after" pill, and unless you are certain your female has mated, you could be wasting your money. Or, if she mates and you don't know it and get her the drug, she'll produce kittens. I'd stick with the spay/neuter. It's the only sure way to make certain your animals aren't contributing to the overpopulation crises in our country.