can a cat live in an apartment without issues and do all cats shed alot of fur that can cause alerg

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Allergies are usually from the cat's saliva from grooming themselves and not from the shedding itself. I'm not sure if any cat is less likely to trigger allergies. My persians are very clean and I brush them often and keep the hair vacuumed off the furniture and rugs but my friends who have allergies still get red eyes and congestion if they spend too much time in my house. But I can tell you that a cat can live quite happily in an apartment. Just make sure she has toys and something to climb and claw herself on like a cat tree (mine love to claw on sisal) and maybe a window to look out of and lots of love. Being kept inside is so much safer and your cat will live longer and be healthier.
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    Accepted Answer
    I have an apartment in Brooklyn and my boyfriend and I have two cats! They're both domestic short hairs and shed a bit, but we try to Swiffer a lot (Swiffer is AMAZING for cat hair) and I also have cat allergies and just take a Claritin when i feel an attack coming on. Our cats are very very happy and love running around the place, they are never ever allowed outside, but they love to sit in the window sil. They have two scratching posts, tons of toys, one big litter box i clean every single morning. They sleep with us at night if they want, but they usually play around. They are also both rescue cats. Also Siberian breed cats are hypoallergenic and don't trigger cat allergies because they don't contain the enzyme in thier saliva people are allergic too. Also Rex cats and Sphinxes are also hypoallergenic, but obviously a cat from a good breeder will be much more expensive.