I have an adult male cat thats been neutered but has not been eating, drinking when he moves he meow

He isnt going to his litter box he is just moving slow from place to place and acting like he is hurting somewhere and I dont know whats wrong; could be constipation but im not sure if so what do I do? I dont have the money to take him to a vet I am on a fixed income.....please help...I have had him 11 yrs. He is also overweight.

Best Answers

• Robin PinkhamRobin Pinkham BangorMember Posts: 1,601
    Accepted Answer
    The best advice I can offer you is to call your vet, tell them them your situation and see if they can see Tigger soon - the office visit itself is generally not a lot, then you have the ability to discuss options and their costs if their is an issue that requires treatment. In some areas the local shelters have a vet on staff who might see a pet for a lessor cost. One concern I would have if Tigger were my cat , based on what you mention, is that he could have urinary tract crystals which will block him from peeing. That does need quick treatment. Does he cry when he tries to pee? Have you seen any blood in his box? Is he straining to go ? If he is peeing ok, he could be consitpated as you mention - due to a hairball?if so try laxatone Try to get him to eat/drink- perhaps some plain chicken broth-no sodium type or meat only baby food, even a bit of tuna or tuna water. Perhaps a tasty canned food? If he does not feel better by morning please contact a vet somehow.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    Accepted Answer
    I am concerned that your cat may be blocked or partially blocked. Male cats will go to the box and try to urinate (which owners often mistake for constipation) but can't. This tends to be a problem for overweight cats as well. You MUST get him to a vet. You need to find the money. If he in fact blocked this is a life or death situation. cats can die within several hours if not treated. Please get him in. Ask your family or friends for help. You can't guess what's going on, he needs to be seen...NOW!!!!
  • Carol ZytnikCarol Zytnik Rego Park, New YorkMember Posts: 168 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Honey: Get your cat to the vet now!!! He he may have a urinary blockage that could kill him within a few hours. Let the vet work out options for payment with you. Carol