my cat, zoe, has just been diagnosed with ibd and/or small cell lymphoma. she needs to take predniso

which i had compounded into a tuna flavored liquid, because i thought it would be easier for both of us. wrong! she won't take it even when mixed with real tuna, and i cannot get it down her throat with the syringe. she is small but stubborn, and surprisingly strong. pilling her is IMPOSSIBLE, which is why i went the liquid route. any suggestions? she will likely need this medication for the rest of her life; i want to make it as pleasant for both of us as possible. also, if anyone has any advice on cats with ibd/lymphoma in terms of diet or alternative medications or treatments or what to expect, zoe and i would both appreciate it! we have been together for 13 1/2 years and want as much more time as possible, but will not be able to undergo chemo because of zoe's sensitivities to drugs. (she can't tolerate anesthesia, and therefore cannot even have the biopsy to determine whether she has ibd or lymphoma.) just want to keep her happy and healthy for as long as possible. thanks!

Best Answer

• Kathleen BKathleen B CincinnatiMember Posts: 135
    Accepted Answer
    You posted that pilling her is impossible, have you tried a pill shooter? If you can get the pill prednisone, try crushing into powder and adding to canned food or tuna. For liquid meds you need the right angle and need to put the syringe almost down her throat to release the meds to make sure she gets it. Make sure you're positve reinforcing and give treats/rewards petting and "good girl" and at medication time or she may try to flee the scene once she associates the medicine routine.