My 2-year old male DSH Ivan seems to become irritable and aggressive *after* eating.

Melanie CMelanie C North CAMember Posts: 30
He will attack his brother, and when I break it up he flops down and howls and meows for a while. He doesn't want any affection shown during these times. He does have pica (eats fabric) but we have been keeping all fabric out of his reach. He also has flatus occasionally. His appetite is fine and he's drinking plenty of water. His bowel movements are fine (no diarrhea). After these aggressive/howling episodes he appears pretty much fine. Any ideas? He and his brother go to the vet 2x a year and so far have been in excellent health. I do have Feliway diffusers in the house. However, I don't want to mask any possible condition with the effects of the Feliway. THANKS!

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    As long as Ivan is not aggressive toward his brother at other times, it's obvious it has something to do with the food. Maybe his "attack" is his form of the old fashioned "brandy and cigar" the gentlemen used to have after dinner. Can you feed Ivan in a separate room and just let him chill out after he eats? Or have you considered "free feeding" (food down all the time) for the guys? That way there is no one episode for Ivan. He can go and eat whenever he feels like it and he's not committed to eating at one particular time. When my I found my husky/shepherd/dobie mix was food aggressive and she'd attack my Springer during mealtimes, I just had to separate them (feed them in different rooms) and the problem was solved.
  • Karina GressKarina Gress Member Posts: 402
    Accepted Answer
    Maybe eating makes his tummy upset and not feel good. He may be scarfing things down so fast that he's swallowing air and giving him cramps. That could be what's causing his gas too. I would recommend free feeding dry food too. My boys get one cup that's there for the whole day, so when they get a little wet food, they don't eat it so fast that they get sick. Growing up that's how we fed all our cats, and most of them lived to a ripe old age (the oldest was 23), and all lived in harmony. I would also suggest feeding them in different rooms, so he doesn't feel threatened.