kitten halitosis

terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
this may seem minor, but the last kitten i had with bad breath died when she was less than a year and a half. rhymon's breath isn't as foul as gracie's, and her teeth and gums appear to be healthy, but... the other possibility with bad breath is diabetes-she seems to be growing and gaining weight well, and has normal kitten energy. she's a voracious eater, but i've always chalked that up to her being a former feral. she's just very, very protective of her food-and will eat from the other cat's bowls as well. this wasn't happening as much when we were feeding them more canned-i'll dig the canned out of storage in the garage tomorrow, we just had a fire, long story. we have some kitty toothpaste somewhere, and she's fairly docile-tamest feral kitten in the world. is there anything else i should be doing? should i consider bad breath a medical emergency? probably not...but what should i be looking for that would BE an emergency? (DON'T ALARM ME WITHOUT PROVIDING FACTS, PLEASE. THANK YOU.)

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Since she seems fit and healthy and is gaining weight I wouldn't worry too much. With diabetes she'd be really thirsty, have trouble gaining weight and her breath would have a sickly sweet smell so it doesn't sound like that. If she'll let you brush her teeth that would be great as bad teeth/gum disease cause a lot of problems in older cats. Also check out the raw foods diet forum as I know chewing bones really helps keep cats teeth/gums in good shape. Poor digestion can also cause bad breath. This wouldn't be an emergency thing but you could try her on higher quality foods with less fillers (corn, soy, rice etc) as many cats have difficulty digesting them properly. Getting some probiotics to sprinkle on her food would also be good as that will make sure she has plenty of the good bacteria in her intestines.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Kira had bad breath too and I wondered about it a bit. I read online that it might be an infection in her sinuses causing the odor. For kittens it's not as common for it to be a serious health issue causing it. Kira recently had antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection and her stinky breath cleared up. So it really could be something that simple causing your kitty's problem too.
  • Kathleen BKathleen B CincinnatiMember Posts: 135
    Accepted Answer
    My 3 year old female also has bad breath. I noticed it immediately when she was a young kitten. She was an orphan/abandoned at about 3 weeks old. At first I thought it was the KMR milk or kitten food and maybe it would change. I asked her vetrinarian about her breath and he just smiled and said, I smell bad breath all day. He was not at all concerned about a helath problem. You might try brushing teeth if she'll tolerate it. Today at 3 yrs, I guess her breath is still as bad but I don't notice it as much...guess like the vet "you get used to it".