Does this stray have Rabies?????????

I took in a stray on Halloween Night. I have two other cats and the new kitten is showing some behavior that my others have never shown. I have named him Jack and he is not fixed and he hasn't received any shots yet due to my knowledge. We are getting the first round tomorrow. He is very spastic though. i am guessing he is 3 to 4 months old and he is a sweet guy, but half the time he is just going crazy! And he bites, HARD! He just seems to get way over stimulated by things. He is literally bouncing off my walls. I was just wondering if this is typical behavior for a young male kitten? My other 2 are girls. I need help!

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    It doesn't sound like rabies but you should ask your vet to give him a general check up when he gets his shots tomorrow. He's old enough to be spayed so you should get that done as soon as possible and that will definitely help calm him down in the long term. I think this behaviour sounds fairly normal for a 3-4 month old tom cat except for the biting. This isn't that uncommon and is probaly because he was abandonede early and never learned proper play ettiquette from his mum and siblings. He can be trained not to bite at least to some extent. If he bites hiss at him (like his mother would) and immediately give him a toy to bite instead of you - this should teach him what is ok to bite and what isn't. If he keeps trying to bite/claw at you put him on the floor and ignore him for a few minutes til he calms down. Make sure never to encourage him to treat your hands as toys - so don't tickle his stomach, run your hands across the floor like a mouse etc while playing with him.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    As far as I know, rabies is a terribly serious disease. If a human contracts it, he/she must undergo numerous painful injections. You think your cat might have rabies and are letting him bite you??? Put him in a cage or carrier, take him to the vet, get the shots, get the diagnosis, and if you yourself have been infected, get treatment or you will die an obscenely painful death. We don't have rabies in the country I live in, but rabies is not at all uncommon in the U.S. Take him to the vet NOW, and in the meantime, protect yourself from bites! I'm pretty sure that he does NOT have rabies, but it's not impossible, so better safe than sorry, right? Good luck!
  • Roopa RajaramadossRoopa Rajaramadoss manchesterMember Posts: 205
    Accepted Answer
    Hi, Overstimulation alone doesnt mean he has Rabies.There are many other reasons it can happen.You have mentioned it was a stray cat and he must not have been getting good food when he was out and now he is being fed by you and he has all the energy in the world to run around like crazy.Also since he isnt fixed yet, it makes them more aggressive.Does he have a fever? Hydrophobia (fear of water) is another symptom, Do you see any of these? You can check the below websites to learn more about it and act accordingly. Since you have mentioned you are going to the Vet anyways, raise your concers with the Vet and see what they have to say.Until then if you are unsure what to do, I would suggest, quarantine him to a separate room until your Vet visit, Leave fresh food, water and some toys for him.Goodluck! Let me know what you find.You can pawmail me!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    As the other posters have said, chances are it's not rabies. Animals who have rabies tend to collapse and can have seizures. They will stand and stare as if they don't know where they are. They stumble and foam at the mouth. If this was an outdoor cat, he may just be frantically trying to find his way back outside. You should never put a cat that you don't know the history of, health or behavior, in with your general population. He could be carrying diseases, or at the least fleas/parasites that your others could "catch" from him. He should be separated in a room by himself until you can get him to a vet, which should be as soon as possible. Because your other two have been exposed to him, they should also have a well-check by their vet and should be observed. Hopefully, "Jack" doesn't have any health issues. But in order to introduce him to your girls properly, put him in a room by himself and do a gradual, supervised introduction. Good luck and bless you for taking this guy in.
  • Accepted Answer
    It's probably not rabies. This is typical behavior for any kitten- especially a male kitten who is neutered. His biting and energy will probably become more manageable after being neutered- although he will still display typical kitten behavior such as occasional biting, scratching, and running around all crazy like. You will need to play with him every single day to keep him happy, stimulated and prevent him from destroying your furniture. Take him outside on a leash and harness for walks as often as you can (after he gets his vaccines of course)- not to mention you should also provide him with a scratching post at all times! Good luck with your new baby! I bet he's absolutely adorable!