13 YO Cat recovering from an infection is becoming listless again after he was perking up and being

My 13 YO Male Cat was recovering from an infection and is becoming listless and unsteady again. He isn't interested in eating and won't take food from my hand even. He went in on November 3rd and spent the night after the vet ran bloodwork. His kidney enzymes were slightly elevated with the other tests coming within expected ranges. While in overnight, he was given an IV for fluids and an antibiotic shot. Once home on Nov 4th, he gladly ate his antibiotics until he realized what they were about 4 days into it. Then it was switch to the "open mouth, insert tablet, hold mouth shut until swallow". He was perking up, steady on his feet and even meowing. He was eating normally. In the last couple of days, he's become unsteady on his feet again, has a distant look in his eyes and just sits around. He just looks so sad. Could his infection be back? Or could this be something else? He's going back to see Dr. Wright this afternoon. Your thoughts? I'm asking for a second opinion.

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    It's impossible for us to even guess what might be wrong with your poor kitty. Even if we've had cats who have acted the same way, it could be a myriad of things. You're doing the right thing by taking him to the vet. All we can give you is our "opinion" for what it's worth, but the truth of the matter is, you need a professional diagnoses from a vet and not a bunch of "guesses" that could unnecessarily scare you about your cat's health. Good luck and many purrs from us all.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Sounds like the infection may not have been completely cored by the original course of antibiotics and has come back. Taking him to the vets is the right thing as they can check this / other potential causes and make sure he gets any meds he needs.