My cat has 2 different size pupils. Do you know what it is and how to help

9 month year old cat, went out and came back. Noticed eyes change in size and making a coughing noise.

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    Change of pupil size is one of the first signs of brain damage. I would highly suggest that you take your cat to the vet right away. He is in pain and needs treatment for whatever injury he has obtained.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Chances are that your cat has suffered a concussion. She may have been hit by a car, fallen off something or hit in the head by someone. There is no home treatment for a concussion and your cat needs to be seen by a vet for x-rays. Please take her asap.
  • Robin PinkhamRobin Pinkham BangorMember Posts: 1,601
    Accepted Answer
    Definitely contact and visit your vet as soon as possible for examination. If the pupils are of different sizes and the cat is coughing something may be wrong and need immediate attention. Truly unequal pupil sizes can be a sign of injury as pointed out, but that can also be caused by various diseases. We did experience this during our Peanut’s illness when it affected his central nervous system. That said, an interesting thing we learned from our vet- cats, unlike humans can have varied pupil sizes based on lighting conditions! This occurs when light hitting one eye is brighter than what is hitting the other eye. For example if one side of the cats face is in a shadow- that pupil will be bigger. It is an interesting phenomenon and odd when you see it. However, in this case the pupils return to normal appearance under even lighting conditions, and the difference is generally not really dramatic. I am assuming you are seeing one pupil either much larger or smaller than normal with no regard to the light conditions, which is why I highly suggest a vet visit. Plus the cough is of concern as well. I hope all turns out to be ok for your cat. It’s always better to err on the side of caution and check with a vet when in doubt. In the meantime please make sure your cat is eating and drinking.