Hi, I recently got spayed and my incision site is all swollen! Is this normal?

Allie LumAllie Lum TorontoMember Posts: 1,587
I was spayed several days ago, and now I'm back to my old self. The only problem is that the incision site is swollen. The vet said that an olive-sized bump is completely normal and it will go away in a few weeks. Now, my bump has almost doubled in size and it is about the size of a golf ball! I'm a bit worried, and I'm not sure if this is normal. I'm going to see the vet in a few days, but I would like to know as soon as possible.

Best Answers

• Diane LangDiane Lang Member Posts: 70
    Accepted Answer
    I would be concerned too. I have have had many cats spayed and never has there been a horribly swollen incision site. She could be allergic to the sutures. I would say if it gets any bigger or pus appears get her in sooner than later.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Feel the area gently. As long as it is not red, is not hot, the bump is not squishy and gentle pressure doesn't hurt her, then it is probably just a suture reaction If it is hot and red, then it is an infection and she should get to the vet right away. I just went through this with Kira and it was big and lumpy so I was afraid her intesines had herniated into a torn suture. The vet said that if it had been that, then it would not feel hard if you touch it and that even gentle pressure would be very painful. Kira's was fairly large and oddly shaped but it was hard and there was no pain. The vet had me come back again one week later just to be sure but told me to watch to make sure it didn't get red or feel warm like an infection. By the same time the following week, it is completely gone. If you are unsure or if she stops acting normal, I would call the vet and ask if you can come in sooner.