I am thinking about getting a kitten. I would have to leave her home alone every weekend (2 days).

Member Posts: 1

Best Answers

• Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    Accepted Answer
    I do not think it would be a good idea to leave a kitten alone for 2 days. Kittens are very curious and often find themselves in situations that could be harmful to them. For instance, I had a kitten that climbed under the stove and nearly got stuck in the process. I have one now that took up wire chewing as a hobby when he was a kitten, because at the time I was working very long hours, and he couldn't handle the separation.... I think that an older cat might be better for your situation. Even one that is a year or two would be better than a tiny kitten. Kittens need lots of nurturing and love, in many ways they are like human babies.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Cleopatra. An older cat would be a better idea. Kittens need a lot of attention and even though I have 4 other cats, I can't imagine leaving my little one unsupervised 2 days every week. She is always someplace getting into some sort of trouble. Cats are pretty independent and could handle being alone for 2 days, but not so much when they are babies.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Blaze. Kittens are small and can fit into many tight, tiny places that you wouldn't even think they'd fit into (and then can't get out.) They also spill their food and water, chew on electrical cords, knock things over, etc. Older cats (unless their name is Izadore) are more settled and seem to think before they "leap" so to speak. And, from the humanitarian (or "catitarian") angle, older cats can be more difficult to adopt out. When you visit the shelter or call your local rescue organization, tell them what you're looking for and they should have no problem matching you with a "younger" kitty who will meet your needs. If you do have your heart set on a kitten (under a year), I would make certain you have someone to look in on her a few times a day, just to make sure everything is OK.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with the other Catsters. If you're going to be gone on weekends, you'd probably do better with an adult cat. They're much more independent and will fare better alone. Also, as Izzie mentioned, they are harder to adopt so there are plenty to choose from.
  • Amy RussellAmy Russell SeattleMember Posts: 110
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with the older kitten idea because so many are out there that are the greatest cats that just aren't getting adopted because they aren't little baby kittens. Kittens are only really kittens for 6 months (short time right?). I think you should adopt two young cats to keep each other company while you are away and you would be doing a great thing for the community, the felines and yourself!
  • Cecilia CretaroloCecilia Cretarolo PortlandMember Posts: 267
    Accepted Answer
    If you were going to get a cat at all, I'd suggest one that's very calm and somewhat aloof. I personally get worried when I have to leave my 5 month old kitten alone for more than 5 hours. Just last week when I got home from school, I walked in to find that somehow the 5 1/2 foot entertainment center had been toppled over. I'm just happy that Hermes didn't get crushed but I know that it could have happened.