Our 9 year old male cat has recently turned more aggressive and is starting to spray in the house.

Member Posts: 1
He has issues with another male we got a year ago, but they just avoid each other usually or just growl at a distance; now he tries to attack him and the other cats. A month ago he accidentally got his bottom tooth knocked out and we wonder if he got head trauma from that as that is when the problems started. His behavior is really weird and changed all around so we are trying to figure out what's wrong. He is fixed and we try to keep him indoors (he just likes to lay in the backyard sometimes). Any help would be great! Thanks!

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    You actually answered your own question when you said "he has issues with another male". Spraying is a neon sign that says "THIS IS MY SPACE AND YOU BETTER STAY OUT!!" You don't say how he got his tooth knocked out, but only that wouldn't cause head trauma. If he got whacked, fell off something or got hit really hard and losing his tooth was one of the results, then yes, he could have other internal injuries. I doubt if this has anything to do with his spraying. Cats (even females) will start to spray when they feel too crowded (you also don't say how many other cats you have.) This is also a territorial issue and he may be trying to establish himself as Head Honcho. In any case, if he did suffer an injury, your best bet would be to take him to his doctor and rule out any health issues that could cause this change in behavior. When you're sure he's OK health-wise, then talk with your vet about his behavior. Your vet will be able to offer professional advice about what you should do.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Izzie. Take him to the vet to rule out anything physical, but it sounds like your 9yo is staking his claim and letting this other guy know who's boss.