Why do cats scratch/sit on office chairs?

I have a cat who is fairly independent, but the instant my husband or I sit in our desk chairs at the computer, he has to scratch on the back of the chair and insists on sitting on our laps or the desk. Once he gets up, he purrs and rolls around like crazy. I know about three other cat owners who have this situation with their cats. I don't mind it, but why do they focus on this particular location?

Best Answer

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    I know that my Kira jumps up and steals my office chair the minute I get up because the seat is warm from my butt being there. Mine also have climbed all over the seat and the back leaving little claw marks in the leather. They are not destrucitve cats at all and they have never done it to anything else in the house either. As far as sitting in your lap at the desk, it is probably the longest time that you sit still with a good lap to lie on. I work at home several days a week and my 5 cats all take turns with the lap and sometimes line up waiting for the last one to leave.