I have a 3 yr. old cat who had a litter in Sept. We kept one and now she has turned VICIOUS even wit

Theresa MacLeanTheresa MacLean Toronto, OntarioMember Posts: 2
She was the most calm, docile, sweet cat before the kittens and was a wonderful mother to them, but in the last 3 weeks she has become unbearable. She growls, hisses and swats when we try to pet her and even when we simply look in her direction!! She does this even when the kitten isn't around and it isn't just directed at him!! I'm actually AFRAID to pet her as she has swatted and growled like a dog at me and other members of the family!! Is she just angry we kept the kitten? Will she get over this? He no longer nurses from her and has learned to stay out of her way. She hides under the bed and in the basement and we are honestly becoming AFRAID of her!!! I would hate to have to get rid of either one of them!! Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    We always advise that whenever there is a sudden and drastic change in a cat's behavior, the vet is the first place to go. Your kitty went through many hormonal and lifestyle changes when she had her kittens and she simply may not have yet recovered from the ordeal. Obviously, having her spayed wouldn't be a bad idea for many reasons. I'm sure you're aware of the horrendous pet overpopulation crises in our country and also the health benefits to the pet itself that desexing brings. When females aren't pregnant, they come into heat very frequently and she may be very "hormonal". Spaying her may calm her down and hopefully remove her reason for acting like a feral cat. After having her spayed, if she continues to act like this, there are medications that your vet can prescribe for anxiety. Please be aware that should you chose to rehome this female and she is tagged as a behavior problem who attacks without provocation, she probably will not find another home.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Izzie. A trip to the vet is in order and I would seriously consider having her spayed.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Izzie's right. This may be hormonal or due to anxiety. So take her to the vet for a check up and to get her and the kitten you kept spayed/neutered.