Will my kitty ever trust me again?

I got my kitty 4 days ago, she is a 9 month old tabby and was SO sweet when we brought her home. She was very loving and followed us everywhere. She got sick yesterday and needs antibiotics, I have to force the liquid in her mouth and she gets very mad at me. Now she wont pay attention to me anymore. I want her to be sweet and loving again, when will she get over it?

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Mine all got over it and hopefully yours will too. The best advice I can give is to make it a more positive experience by giving her treats right after the medicine. I usually get some canned food or even some baby food in beef or chicken flavor ready to go on a plate. Even just one spoonful and then after you give the medicine, set her right down to have the treat. She'll know it's there and she'll know it's coming so hopefully she will focus on that and not the drama of taking the medicine. You just need to spend some extra time giving her love and playing with her and she will get over it. I have had to give various liquid medicine to all of mine and some more than once in the short time I have had them and I have always done it this way and they still trust me.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    I cheated and put the liquid on some tuna for Oscar. He ate it right without a single complaint. He ADORES tuna and didn't even take time to sniff it before he inhaled it. Is there a really special treat that you could use during medicine time? That way Jazmyn would associate good things with medicine.
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    Accepted Answer
    Phil takes several medications in liquid and powder form, I do what Oscar J. does and mix it in with something she loves! I usually use one of those Merrick B.G. 100% meats, like salmon or tuna or whatever your kitty likes! even if you need to force feed her she'll get over it, maybe try allies advice and give her lots of treats when shes done with the liquid.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    It's possible that Jazmyn's "mood" has nothing to do with trusting or not trusting you. She may just not feel well. Whatever she is on the antibiotics for may be making her just want some alone time. In addition, you did just adopt her. She is still "feeling out" her new digs and new humans. Cats are observers. Paula Poundstone once said that a cat's expression wouldn't change if it was watching the birds outside or an axe murderer approaching your house. So, don't think that Jazmyn in going to be angry with you for the rest of her life. As someone who's been through this, I can almost guarantee you that when she feels better and is used to her new home, she will become your best friend, lap warmer and head-bonker.
  • i  luv cheeksi luv cheeks Member Posts: 5
    Accepted Answer
    hey! i feed my cat medication everytime she gets mad and goes to hide for a day or two so your will get over it!
  • Sharon MillerSharon Miller MurfreesboroMember Posts: 6
    Accepted Answer
    That is the excactly same way my cat was when we first brought her home. She was very sick and we had to give her antibiotics 3 times a day. She hated me for it and some what ignored me. When she was done taking her medicine and noticed I wasnt hurting her, she was back to normal in 1 or 2 days. Jazmyn will probaly be the same way. When she notices that you are the one that gives her life, she will be just fine.